SW:TOR Cost

liamnic2

Super Star
Hey guys

I have never liked games like WOW but SW:TOR looks like a good game, but why do you have to pay to play ?
Do you get a trial time when buy the game? I saw on Play.com that you can buy 60days worth for £18.

truegrace

Enthusiast
You get 30 days free with purchase then its about £9 a month. If you get into playing mmos and generally don't buy any other games it can work out a cheap way of gaming. I think discounts are offered if you buy more months in 1 go, like subscribing for 6 months say

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I was going to come in with some valid arguments about the cost of P2P MMOs, but then Wozza kindly brought in the "OMG XBOX LIVE IS CHEAPER" argument, so i'll just present this thread doesn't exist now :)

Gishank

Bright Spark
£9 isn't alot for a P2P MMO. The boxed version of the game comes with 30 days gameplay, if you pre-ordered and activated in time you will recieve up to an additional 7 days prior to actual launch to play. Personally I originally pre-ordered the collectors edition but have since cancelled my pre-order (although I still have my early access code activated) to re-purchase a different edition when I get the money for it. Why? I just feel that whilst it is somewhat enjoyable to play, it's just a rather generic MMO with a Star Wars skin. I also detest how they made the Sith Inquisitor sound, quite frankly he sounds like a little boy on helium.

Keenhail

Gold Level Poster
I was really really really really really... wanting this game, I couldn't wait for it.. That was until I got my hands on the beta, Which of course totally destroyed the game for me. I will not pay £8.99 a month for what I deem to be a single player game

I played KOTOR & KOTOR II, Loved them to bits and spent entire summers just playing through them. Bioware should have just kept it a single player game, The only thing that I think will do well for it is the initial hype and the amount of star wars nerds out there (me being one of them)

I will probably end up getting it that all said and done, play for the free month and the pre-order access but after that until I get enough money to pay for RIFT & SW:TOR it will be RIFT that wins every time

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I always feel that those that lambast TOR as a single player game either didn't level high enough, or just didn't bother doing the multiplayer parts of the game.

I played Rift (in your example Keen) for a few months on and off, and for the most part I played solo, had no reason to group up, and the only time I did was at the Rifts themselves, and that wasn't what I call an organised group, just a lot of people that happen to be in the same area.

@ Gishank, when you say "generic mmo with a star wars skin"...what exactly did you want? No really? I have seen this argument quite a lot, and never actually see anyone put forward what they actually want from a SW MMO...

And in addition to alllllllllll of that...its not even out yet! :D

JSG10

Expert
Oh these posts have amused me :)

@DED. Totally agree with your posts.

@Wozza. Back to your console fanboy ;-) Hehe I've got a 360, haven't actually played it properly since getting my PC though lol but lets do the maths shall we as obviously some people can't work a calculator. SWTOR: Even at £9 p/m (Which it won't be as I expect like all MMOs now you'll be able to get discount for multiple months, RIFT I pay something like £6 p/m) thats £108 a year. Xbox Live: £40 a year plus £40 per game. Say you only buy 3 games a year, which isn't a lot really thats still £160. How long d o you play most console games for? I expect within the year, those 3 you bought won't be played again yet with MMOs there are always updates and new content coming out. Ok some you have to pay extra for, but ones such as RIFT (Just mentioning this again as it's my most current MMO I'm playing) they've put out no end of updates and extra content at no extra cost. :)

@Gishank: Generic MMO with a SW skin?? They're ALL generic MMOs with their own skins over the top you pillock.

@Keenhail: Last but not least, don't know what the problem is really, in 1 weekend of beta testing I grouped with a whole load of people and made 4 or 5 new friends that we'll be on the look out for each other come release. Add to that PvP with frickin lightsabers and you've most definitely got an epic multiplayer game.

micgre

Bronze Level Poster
Oh these posts have amused me :)

@DED. Totally agree with your posts.

@Wozza. Back to your console fanboy ;-) Hehe I've got a 360, haven't actually played it properly since getting my PC though lol but lets do the maths shall we as obviously some people can't work a calculator. SWTOR: Even at £9 p/m (Which it won't be as I expect like all MMOs now you'll be able to get discount for multiple months, RIFT I pay something like £6 p/m) thats £108 a year. Xbox Live: £40 a year plus £40 per game. Say you only buy 3 games a year, which isn't a lot really thats still £160. How long d o you play most console games for? I expect within the year, those 3 you bought won't be played again yet with MMOs there are always updates and new content coming out. Ok some you have to pay extra for, but ones such as RIFT (Just mentioning this again as it's my most current MMO I'm playing) they've put out no end of updates and extra content at no extra cost. :)

@Gishank: Generic MMO with a SW skin?? They're ALL generic MMOs with their own skins over the top you pillock.

@Keenhail: Last but not least, don't know what the problem is really, in 1 weekend of beta testing I grouped with a whole load of people and made 4 or 5 new friends that we'll be on the look out for each other come release. Add to that PvP with frickin lightsabers and you've most definitely got an epic multiplayer game.

+rep

liamnic2

Super Star
Ill get it after christmas, along with my new PC, but all that money buying more and more time must add up. £18 for 60 days = £108 a year !!!! Atleast I think it is LOL!!!

truegrace

Enthusiast
£108 for the year isn't bad though if you don't play much else. When I was a wow ***** I pretty much didn't play anything else. When I stopped playing due to boredom I was buying a good 5-6 games a year at least which cost me way more.

Unless a game has stupid amounts of hours single player (skyrim for example) or a kick arse multiplayer (bf3) I would struggle to be occupied for more than a month with some enjoyable game time, which could total 12 games a year. 12 x 30 = 360

If your the type of guy, or gal, who sinks their life into a mmo then the monthly fee is quite frankly a bargain :p

Rakk

The Awesome
Yeah, gotta be said, I've played EQ2 for a number of years now, its $10 a month, so thats about 7quid a month maybe (dependent on conversion rate at the time), lot cheaper than many things, cheaper than a night out at the pub, cheaper than friday lunchtime at the pub :)

MeveM

Bright Spark
Single player game = 5-20 hours. I got 70 hours out of Skyrim. For £40.
For a MMO I'd get about 360 hours from a MMO from the first £40, then another 360 each month for £9. Do the math yourself. MMO's are value for money, you get content added for free, you only pay for massive changes like Expansions which are in essence themselves big enough to be a game of their own.

MMO's do not end. I have played WoW for 7 years, on average 9-12 hours on a daily basis for the past 7 years. I have paid £912 in total for WoW, 4 expansions for 12x7 months subscription. I have gotten say 10x365x7 = 25550 hours / 1064 days of game time out of a MMO worth £912.

If I spend £912 on normal games I'd get 5-60 hours out of each. Lets be generous and say a average of 40 hours, that'd give me 23 games, 23x40 = 920 hours.

So 25.550 hours vs 920 hours. Both costing me £912. I get about 27 times the amount of play time more out of a MMO then a normal game.

You need to look at yourself and see whether MMO's are value for money for YOU. It certainly is for me. Some single player games I finish in even less then 5 hours. Warhammer 40k: Spacemarines was one of the last singleplayer games I played, I think I finished it in just under 5 hours or something like that. Ridicules if you ask me.

If you spend as many hours as I do in games, then yes, MMO is the best gaming solution out there, period.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm blessed with the fact that I play together with my fiancee, giving me the opportunity to do what I enjoy with whom I enjoy living my life with.

Last edited:

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Single player game = 5-20 hours. I got 70 hours out of Skyrim. For £40.
For a MMO I'd get about 360 hours from a MMO from the first £40, then another 360 each month for £9. Do the math yourself. MMO's are value for money, you get content added for free, you only pay for massive changes like Expansions which are in essence themselves big enough to be a game of their own.

MMO's do not end. I have played WoW for 7 years, on average 9-12 hours on a daily basis for the past 7 years. I have paid £912 in total for WoW, 4 expansions for 12x7 months subscription. I have gotten say 10x365x7 = 25550 hours / 1064 days of game time out of a MMO worth £912.

If I spend £912 on normal games I'd get 5-60 hours out of each. Lets be generous and say a average of 40 hours, that'd give me 23 games, 23x40 = 920 hours.

So 25.550 hours vs 920 hours. Both costing me £912. I get about 27 times the amount of play time more out of a MMO then a normal game.

You need to look at yourself and see whether MMO's are value for money for YOU. It certainly is for me. Some single player games I finish in even less then 5 hours. Warhammer 40k: Spacemarines was one of the last singleplayer games I played, I think I finished it in just under 5 hours or something like that. Ridicules if you ask me.

If you spend as many hours as I do in games, then yes, MMO is the best gaming solution out there, period.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm blessed with the fact that I play together with my fiancee, giving me the opportunity to do what I enjoy with whom I enjoy living my life with.

Lol your maths is a bit dodgy there, at one poiunt your refering to hours, the next your referring to pounds.

I think what you could have done with saying is at 40 hours per normal game and 25550 total, thats a total of around 640 normal games.

640 normal games at around £30 each on pc is about £19,200 lols

So yeah if you really could get through every game you buy in 4 days flat and kept buying a new one everytime the old one ran out youd be paying around 20K in 7 years. However I guarantee most people aren't like that, I game for many hours a day and cant say I ever buy a new game every 4 days lol.

MMO get boring for me tbh hence why I dont tend to play them, however for those who do play them they are good value, if thats all you play. I prefer to play a wide range of games and I hardly ever buy my games full price so for me non mmo are much better value.

MeveM

Bright Spark
Lol your maths is a bit dodgy there, at one poiunt your refering to hours, the next your referring to pounds.

Yeah, that's kind of the point. Value per hour. MMO gives far more per hour so how anyone can say that MMO's are expensive needs to look at what you're given.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yeah, that's kind of the point. Value per hour. MMO gives far more per hour so how anyone can say that MMO's are expensive needs to look at what you're given.

Completely depends how much u play them. As i said i dnt really enjoy them tht much, id probably get 20 hours a month max out of an MMO, id rather be racing, shooting, solving puzzles etc so while MMO are fun i still like my non mmo more and as a result my value per hour is less.

But anyway the point is u were switchin from a number tht was in hours for your mmo to using the same numnber in £ to counter your argument lol

MeveM

Bright Spark
Completely depends how much u play them. As i said i dnt really enjoy them tht much, id probably get 20 hours a month max out of an MMO, id rather be racing, shooting, solving puzzles etc so while MMO are fun i still like my non mmo more and as a result my value per hour is less.

But anyway the point is u were switchin from a number tht was in hours for your mmo to using the same numnber in £ to counter your argument lol

Well I'm sorry you're finding it hard to understand my first post. I've re-read it plenty of times and makes perfect sense to me. And if you did pay enough attention, I said that;
You need to look at yourself and see whether MMO's are value for money for YOU. It certainly is for me.

and

So again, thank you for stating what I've already said.