System Restore Problems Win 7

Red Squirrel

Bronze Level Poster
I had a problem with my PC and ran CHKDSK and fixed the issue, but since using CHKDSK the System Restore isn't working properly.

It asked me to set up a system restore point which i did and then there was a critical update and it saved that as a 2nd restore point but after 7 days all the restore points have disappeared and it asks me to setup a restore point.

Before I used CHKDSK the system restore would retain at least 10 restore points so i'd always have restore points to rollback to if necessary but for some reason now it isn't saving.

I've attached pictures of the messages and settings.

Can anyone help with my System Restore problem on Win 7 home premium 64 bit?

Thanks

Attachments

• SR3.jpg
    SR3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 146
  • SR2.jpg
    SR2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 152
  • SR1.jpg
    SR1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 142

paul1224

Sometimes system restore points not being saved is due to conflicting software that is stopping this happening.
As a precaution I would suggest booting the PC in Safe Mode, saving the restore point, and seeing if this will keep the restore point saved the next time you boot normally.
If this works then something software wise is likely to be causing the issue (normally security applications can cause this).

Another option I can think of is that as the issue only occured after running CHKDSK it may be a file issue with the OS that is causing the problem.
I would consider putting in the Win 7 OS disc and trying a 'Repair' just in case some files have been removed or become corrupted with the OS.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You could also try turning off system restore, turn off computer, reboot,turn system restore back on.
First,if you haven't already done so you should make a system backup.

Red Squirrel

Bronze Level Poster
Any windows critical updates it saves the restore points for a few days and then deletes them leaving no restore points but the automatic restore points and updates of microsoft security essentials the restore points aren't being created which they used to do.