System specifically for Flight Simulator X

Dene76

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new rig to run Microsoft Flight Sim X which I know from experience is a heavily CPU dependant software, here are two rigs I'm considering:

AMD
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHZ CPU
M4A89TD Motherboard
8 GB RAM
1 GB ATI RADEON HD 5750
500 GB HDD
450 W PSU
Titan Fenrir Extreme cooler
£927

INTEL
i7 Quad Core 930 2.80 GHZ CPU
Asus P6X58D-E Motherboard
6 GB RAM
1 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460
500 GB HDD
450 W PSU
Titan Fenrir Extreme cooler
£996

On various websites the general opinion is that the minimum to run FSX is 3GHZ processor with good cooling, 80 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, 256 MG Graphics Card.

Will both the above run FSX to a high level and should I go for the cheaper AMD, or go the extra for Intel?

Cheers
Dene

Meds

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

The Intel specification gets my vote. A more more powerful CPU and better graphics card will help give a better performance in Flight Sim compared with the AMD spec. Even though it is slightly more expensive, I think it is worth the extra pennies!

Dene76

I think it will be the Intel one.
After putting in my spec on your web page I originally had a 600W PSU but was told by the website that I only needed a 450 W.
Would 450 W be enough or do I need more PSU?

Meds

The 450W would be a bare minimum, if your budget can stretch I would recommend the 600W. Not only will it cope with your current spec better than the 450W, it will also cover you should you make any upgrades in the future.

Dene76

I've finally ordered the PC.
I opted for the 600 W PSU, will it be enough?

Full Spec:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHZ
ASUS M4N98TD
8 GB RAM
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460
500 GB HDD
600 W PSU
TITAN FENRIR EXTREME

Meds

Looks great, yeah the 600W is perfect for the rest of the specification :)

Dene76

Just got confirmation from PCS that they are now processing my order :)
I've also changed the PSU from 600W to the Corsair 650W.

I hope to be able to post pics of the rig and also screenshots from FSX once I'm up and running in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for all comments.

Dene76

Hi all,

I never thought about the casing before and for my rig I've ordered the COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE + 2 FRONT USB casing, I'm thinking of changing it to PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE.
Thoughts?

steveuk87

Super Star
the Maelstrom is a very nice case, but it all depends really on if your going to upgrade in the future and where you store the pc.. for me its going to be hidden away so it didnt have to look amazin, but if your gonna upgrade bigger is better so go for the bigger (MAELSTROM)

Steve

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Both cases are very nice, and unless you specifically need one case it's totally down to personal taste. :)

Meds

Both cases are good but if I'm nit picking, I would probably say the Maelstrom is better for cooling. Below compares the fans which come as standard;

CoolerMaster 310 - 1 x 120mm front, 1 x 120mm rear

Maelstrom - 1 x 120mm front, 1 x 120mm rear, 1 x 120mm top, 1 x 220mm (side)

Dene76

As I'm only going to be using the rig for Flight Simulation would a better cooling case be worth the extra £24?