Tennis Champion!

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
So a man wins a tennis championship along with zillions of pounds in prize money and sponsorship. Jolly good luck to him, he worked hard for it but does that make him tick all the boxes to be made a Knight Of the Realm.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh he has done well, but not deserving of a knighthood at all. I think even he agrees with that. All he has done is play tennis and won a few tournaments. If he starts doing some big charity work then maybe. Its a big shame that its all given to sports or TV stars, rather than those who really work hard and innovate

Tom DWC

Was having a convo with the mother about this the other day.

Really happy for Andy Murray, very well done, fantastic accomplishment. But he is a professional tennis player who loves playing tennis and gets paid incredibly well to do it.

The quote from the PM about no-one being more deserving was in my view ridiculous. There are far more deserving people, soldiers, charity workers, who give a tremendous amount of time and energy for little or no reward. These are the people who should receive accolades for lifelong accomplishments. Not sportsmen/women and celebrities, unless they contribute significantly to charitable causes over the course of their life. It was just a silly statement to make in my view, probably nothing more than political opportunism.

So nope. :D

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I have to agree with you guys here. Especially Tom and political opportunism, Cameron certainly doesn't miss a a political opportunity like this! that guy and his apprentice make my blood boil!

Neway, back on topic, before the thread derails into something political! lol which is against the forum rules.

I dont think any Sportsmen/women should get anything other than medals that are actually won. Is playing a "professional" sport on a daily basis, with top of the range healthcare, excellent diet and plenty of money sounds really that tough?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have to agree with you guys here. Especially Tom and political opportunism, Cameron certainly doesn't miss a a political opportunity like this! that guy and his apprentice make my blood boil!

Neway, back on topic, before the thread derails into something political! lol which is against the forum rules.

I dont think any Sportsmen/women should get anything other than medals that are actually won. Is playing a "professional" sport on a daily basis, with top of the range healthcare, excellent diet and plenty of money sounds really that tough?

Meh, all the 3 party leaders make my blood boil, they are all basically the same anyway (PS don't debate with me about politics, im passionate!)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I think he should get one... he wasn't randomly chosen to become a tennis star. He's worked his whole life towards it. Ok so he's not done anything charitable (other than donate his entire Aegon winnings of £70k+ to charity). Maybe he shouldn't get one now - perhaps an OBE or something, but maybe later in life when he's older and has accomplished more then so be it. The guys chased his dream and got it. Fair play to him!

bigben

Master Poster
I think no. Having said that Bradley Wiggins got a knighthood after winning the Tour de France and the Olympics, is it fair to give Wiggins a Knighthood for reaching the highest levels of his profession but not Murray?
Martin Johnson led England to their first ever Rugby World Cup win but only got a CBE, Jonny Wilkinson who was without a doubt the key factor in the same World Cup win (and possibly the best English rugby player ever?) has an OBE. What makes Wiggins and Murray deserve a knighthood more than them? The whole idea of giving sports people and celebrities is stupid.

I just googled "murray charity work", apparently he donated £73k prize money from a different tournament to charity before?

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
Meh, all the 3 party leaders make my blood boil, they are all basically the same anyway (PS don't debate with me about politics, im passionate!)
Please stick to the Topic. To remind you it's basically do you agree Andy Murray should be Knighted. Doesn't matter who said he should be. Don't get the thread banned by talking politics, please!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Apparently Andy Murray has just donated his £1.6M winnings to Cancer Research

Also I think this has a fairly strong link to politics. Especially with David Cameron feeling the need to butt in and get some political attention

Last edited:

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
Also I think this has a fairly strong link to politics. Especially with David Cameron feeling the need to butt in and get some political attention
That's fair comment. What i was trying to point out was the quote "Meh, all the 3 party leaders make my blood boil, they are all basically the same anyway (PS don't debate with me about politics, im passionate!)" seemed to be nothing to do with Andy Murray just a general gripe about those in Politics!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's fair comment. What i was trying to point out was the quote "Meh, all the 3 party leaders make my blood boil, they are all basically the same anyway (PS don't debate with me about politics, im passionate!)" seemed to be nothing to do with Andy Murray just a general gripe about those in Politics!

Yeh, it was just a follow on comment from Tom's opinion

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I have found it ridiculous for years (and will rant on about it for ages...at home, work, wherever) that pretty much since 2000 they dole out Knighthoods on the basis of popularity and celebrity...with particular emphasis on sport.

See, to me, someone like Steve Redgrave (and latterly Matthew Pincent) could be considered deserving when they got theirs, because they did so when they had retired, and I am pretty sure did a lot of charity stuff with it.

Beefy Botham famously got his for charity work, not cricket.

It took them til 1998 to Knight Geoff Hurst (not right after the WC!)

Then we had the like of Kelly Holmes...for essentially winning 2 golds.

The Chris Hoy one always annoyed me, because again, they should wait til they guys retire before even considering it, and then only if they go on to do lots of good stuff (which I am not saying they don't, but not all do).

Wiggo followed, because they had by this point set a precedent.

However, Andy is 26 (younger than me!) and has a whole career ahead of him. Retires, probably after winning a few more Slams, does a lot for charity (which has already has started, especially with his mate), THEN consider if he is worthy of a KBE.

The most ridiculous thing (yes even more than the KBE) was the suggestion they erect a statue of him at Wimbledon (alongside old Fred)...I really think people lose perspective sometimes. How can he go there next year and compete, and then maybe lose in the first round when he has a friggin statue! Again, retires, is a great of British tennis, give him a statue, sure (as that is all to do with tennis, so is ok).

Annnnnd done

See, now just imagine if you put me in a room with someone that doesn't agree with that...

..."and not a single bit of work was done that day"

:D

Rakk

The Awesome
Agree with what's been said, winning stuff like Wimbledon, Olympic medals, the Tour de France, all very commendable and good for sport in the UK in general, but knighthood worthy just from winning, I don't think so - its their job!
If said person has done a lot of charity work or useful stuff in general that would be worthy of a knighthood then yes feel free, but just winning no.
Heck, as someone else said, many many many people do an awful lot of good work and never get anything because they are not celebrities, but they don't do it to be rewarded, they do it because they're good people - now that can be knighthood worthy

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
many many many people do an awful lot of good work and never get anything because they are not celebrities, but they don't do it to be rewarded, they do it because they're good people - now that can be knighthood worthy

Andy Murray with his sponsorship deals worth up to £15m / year + prize money donates £76k to charity. An anonymous person with annual income of £12k / year donates £100 to charity, who's more worthy of a knighthood?

Edit: I still respect Murray for giving the money to charity, it's more than a lot of the other overpaid sports people do.

Last edited:

Reider

I agree, while I repsect him for giving money to charity i don't think he should get a knighthood. He has worked hard to get where he is but he had a tennis coach for a mum, he had lots of opportunities a person from a 'normal' background wouldn't have had.
He's very young, we might never hear of him again. Also, lots of headlines about him being the first British champion in 77 years, what about Virginia Wade?
And no to the statue, that's just ridiculous, give the money to help young people from less privileged backgrounds learn to play tennis.

Lobizzle

. He has worked hard to get where he is but he had a tennis coach for a mum, he had lots of opportunities a person from a 'normal' background wouldn't have had.

Why are so many people trying to normalise Murrays achievements. Phrases such as "he's just doing his job" or the above quote. Andy Murray has won the most prestigious tournament from one of the most played sports in the world, in doing so he has inspired thousands of kids and adults alike to give tennis a go (myself included).

I can't wait for the day when Murray gets knighted, and in response to the people asking why others sports stars weren't knighted I guess it's generally because they were part of a team, and it's difficult to knight a whole team.

This question of whether he should get a knighthood or not just seems like another way for people to have a go at Murray, instead of arguing, we should all just forget about it and enjoy the fact that a British man won Wimbledon.

Tom DWC

Why are so many people trying to normalise Murrays achievements. Phrases such as "he's just doing his job" or the above quote. Andy Murray has won the most prestigious tournament from one of the most played sports in the world, in doing so he has inspired thousands of kids and adults alike to give tennis a go (myself included).

I can't wait for the day when Murray gets knighted, and in response to the people asking why others sports stars weren't knighted I guess it's generally because they were part of a team, and it's difficult to knight a whole team.

This question of whether he should get a knighthood or not just seems like another way for people to have a go at Murray, instead of arguing, we should all just forget about it and enjoy the fact that a British man won Wimbledon.

I don't think anyone's trying to downplay his accomplishment, it was fantastic and 77 years in the making. But a knighthood is defined as service to the country. Personally I don't think winning a tennis tournament is as important as those who dedicate their lives to better those of others.

Nobody's attacked Murray, just criticized the suggestion that he should be given a knighthood, which had nothing to do with Murray himself.

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
I don't think anyone's trying to downplay his accomplishment, it was fantastic and 77 years in the making. But a knighthood is defined as service to the country. Personally I don't think winning a tennis tournament is as important as those who dedicate their lives to better those of others.

Nobody's attacked Murray, just criticized the suggestion that he should be given a knighthood, which had nothing to do with Murray himself.

Well said. I think you encapsulated the general feeling here. it wasn't about the man, more the system!