Thank You PCS: My Review

Ron Stoppable

First Things First

7 pictures of unboxing, insides and setup :winkiss:

Choosing a Manufacturer

I was originally looking at laptops on the Lenovo website. I didn't know much about desktop configs at the time and Lenovo had been recommended by music techies, but their spec options were low and their prices were high.

Then I found out about custom builders in the UK - Kobalt had loads of complaints (and eventually went bust) and Rock are heavily marked up so PCS safest and most affordable.

I paid close attention to the content on each builders forums and their respective subforums at NotebookReview, where I found out that PCS customer support is excellent.

CompanyCheck.co.uk verified that my money was likely to be safe with PCS.

Reading the PCS forums made it clear that a desktop would be a wiser investment than a laptop, as I used my laptop at home 99% of the time.

Configuring my Spec

Before buying I was keen to ensure that every option of my spec was the optimal choice for my intended use.

The Check This Spec subforum and PCS' Live Support chat service were immensely helpful. The forum was ideal for working out 90% of my spec and Live Support excelled at resolving final deliberations.

Production Details

Ordered around 3pm on 25-11-2011. Delivered around 10am on 03-12-2011, just 8 days later.

Built by Sanjit Ghosh. Tested by Zbear Ramzan. QC'd by Adnaan Marban. Packed by Anthony Cunliffe.

Delivery and Communication

Delivery was via DPD. PCS had recently switched from Yodel after a noticeable number of complaints about them. The delivery service from DPD was fantastic.

PCS sent me emails and texts when my computer was dispatched and on the morning of delivery, specifying the one-hour timeslot my computer would arrive in.

PCS included a link to a tracker on the DPD website, which gave exceptional attention to detail of each stage of my PC's journey here.

Initial Impressions

Packaging: Simple to open, nothing unnecessary. Light and 99% recyclable, although PCS advice is to keep it in case of any future returns. The computer and accessories were certainly well protected during the journey.

Sound: Quiet but a bit louder than I was expecting. I still have a wonderfully quiet machine given my choices of processor and PSU.

Speed: Fastest machine I've ever had the pleasure of using. I've got my Dropbox on the C drive (SSD) so the D Drive (HDD) doesn't have to spin up unless I'm archiving to it.

Bloatware: Cleanest new computer I've ever seen. Revo Uninstaller (a brilliant program for removing bloatware) reported that the only things installed were essentials - drivers/modules and intel/windows stuff.

Windows Experience Index: Processor 7.7, Memory 7.7, Graphics 6.4, Gaming Graphics 6.4, Primary Hard Disk 7.9 - perfect for my needs.

After-Sales Support

There were two things but I didn't need to use PCS' actual support as the forums resolved both.

One was the wireless being incredibly weak - I didn't know I had to plug any antennas in (I didn't even know what they were in their packaging) :eek: - but I got swift, unpatronising advice to fix it.

I also got same-day advice on reducing the computer's ambient noise - the main thing with that now is the fan noise is quiet enough for my mic to not pick it up.

Extras

I was switching from a laptop (often used on my lap while on a sofa) to a desktop so there were extra costs to consider besides the computer from PCS (although I already had speakers and recording gear).

These extras included a multi-layered black glass desk (£177), an IPS monitor (£125) and basic Logitech wired keyboard (£9) and mouse (£4) from Amazon - and a 65p mouse mat from Wilkinsons. :D

Conclusion

What a brilliant buying experience. Thank you PCS :)

rudolph93

Silver Level Poster
nice review, really like that desk too. +rep for pics and hope you enjoy your new pc very much!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
is that the sileo 500, looks better than on the PCS pics if it is, nice review and good pics +rep

tom_gr7

Life Serving
ace review dude, plus rep.

pc thanks for the link for the desk, its ace, could fit 3 monitors on there nicely

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Link's in the review. Mine's a joint birthday and Christmas present from multiple people. It was quite a challenge to put it all together but pretty fun too. :)

lol dont have the space for it, or the budget (student :() oh n the missus would veto it, because it wont match our ikea furniture

PokerFace

Banned
Nice review and pics, so have some rep.

Just a couple of points:
1) If that desk is anything like my black/glass tv stand it doesn't half show up the dust, especially in the sunlight. Although, mine is in a room with carpet, so probably more dust around. Then again, seeing how tidy and organised you appear, I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping it looking good!

2) If you are planning on having that radiator on, you may want to consider moving the pc to the right side of the desk.

Anyway...enjoy!!

Ron Stoppable

Nice review and pics, so have some rep.
Thanks! :)

1) If that desk is anything like my black/glass tv stand it doesn't half show up the dust, especially in the sunlight. Although, mine is in a room with carpet, so probably more dust around. Then again, seeing how tidy and organised you appear, I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping it looking good!
Haha yep! I'm giving the surfaces a quick wipe each week - got the desk before the comp so used to it now.

2) If you are planning on having that radiator on, you may want to consider moving the pc to the right side of the desk.
Good point - hadn't though of that! I put it on the left to hide the wall plug socket but that's fairly discreet anyway. And there will theoretically be better airflow outside the case if it's on the right (although the case has poor internal airflow). Anyway the radiator's on now but the case and nearest metal desk support are cold to the touch, so is it still worth it?

PokerFace

Banned
It's probably fine where it is, as it's not directly next to the radiator, but just something for you to be aware of. Keep an eye on the temps inside your case (CPU, GPU) and move it if you feel it's necessary.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
that is a really nice desk, its ashame my case wouldnt fit under there, i dont think half of my case would fit :/

Last edited:

Ron Stoppable

It's probably fine where it is, as it's not directly next to the radiator, but just something for you to be aware of. Keep an eye on the temps inside your case (CPU, GPU) and move it if you feel it's necessary.

Max CPU core temp (according to Core Temp) is 36c, but they're all at 33/34c now. What's the range it should be within?

PokerFace

Banned
Max CPU core temp (according to Core Temp) is 36c, but they're all at 33/34c now. What's the range it should be within?

Those temps are absolutely fine. I've got the same case as you and things will get a little warmer than some cases due to the sound proofing inside the case. My cpu is currently running at 39 - 45 (different cpu to yours mind).