The 15.6" Vortex III

Fourteenth

Hello guys,

I'm planning on buying The 15.6" Vortex III, but on a budget really of around £950, and therefore couldn't decide whether I should get intel core i3 (3120M) processor with a basic HDD being the 250GB Serial
or whether I should go for the cheapest CPU it has to offer (the intel premium dual core (2030M) ) and get a SSD being the kingston 120GB.

I'm not very techny with the different processors, so I'm unsure on the advantages a intel core i3 3120M has to offer me in comparison to a intel premium 2030M.

In terms of the SSD/HDD, I'm aware SSD's are much better than HDD's, But what i'm wanting to know is what would be better to spend my money on out of the above options?

Sorry if I sound a complete noob.

Thanks for your time.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would go for the better processor as opposed to an SSD.
An SSD will give quicker boot times and load programs faster but your really only talking seconds,a better processor would be much more advantageous performance wise in my opinion.

Last edited:

Fourteenth

Okay, thanks for your help and response, in terms of these two processors, is there a great difference in performance?

Sorry to be a pain asking.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Okay, thanks for your help and response, in terms of these two processors, is there a great difference in performance?

Sorry to be a pain asking.

It depends on your intended use, neither is ideal for gaming. I would expect either of those to bottleneck am the gtx 680m. For other uses like web browsing or daily tasks either coy will be fine but you are probably better off choosing a cheaper chassis and not the vortex.

Fourteenth

Ah right, That would be no good then, If I pushed my budget up to the i5 processor, do you think that would be good enough for gaming?

Fourteenth

Which would be better?

Hello, I'm wanting to get a new laptop, and I can't really decide which specs will be good enough or better for me.. I'm hoping to be able to play games quite smoothly (not too bothered about maxing out the settings)
So far I've decided on two different ones, but can't decide what would be better.

Vortex III

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-3230M (2.60GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Or the
Skyfire III

Chassis & Display
SkyFire: 14" Matte HD+ LED Widescreen (1600x900)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4800MQ (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 2 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & INTEL WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
SkyFire 14" Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Which of these do you think would be a better choice? And any changes you would make if purchasing either of these systems, Thanks for your time.

Zoom

For playing games "quite smoothly", either of the above would suffice. The 680m however is MUCH quicker than a 760m (approximately double the performance in games) but this performance will be slightly offset by the lower panel resolution of the SkyFire (900p - compared with 1080p on the Vorte)x. The i5 in your Vortex config should be fine for gaming, but also keep in mind that the i7 is quad core vs dual core on the i5 meaning the i7 will perform much better in CPU intensive games that support multiple cores.

Personally, I'd go for the Vortex III which represents excellent value now that the 680m comes as standard. It also appears to be a nicer chassis (both aesthetically and feature wise) and I'd expect the quality of the Clevo 1080p screen to be better than the SkyFire 900p one. You can always put in an SSD when your budget allows.

Make sure you also tag on Silver warranty for an extra fiver.

Last edited:

Fourteenth

Yeahh thanks for your reply and advice, didn't think anyone would ever reply to me, I'm highly considering the Vortex III, As like you mentioned the chassis on it is far nicer in my opinion.
But regarding the SSD, Yeah that's true, I guess I could.

Thanks alot for the reply.