The Beast is on the Way !!

kingmeisteruk

Hi all,

Just put in an order for my new Vortex III spec below and now just have to go through the painstaking waiting game until it's ready, then it's on to some serious high spec gaming :cool:.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series:17.3" AUO Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-3920XM (2.90GHz) 8MB
Memory (RAM) 32GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
RAID NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE 120GB OCZ® NOCTI mSATA MLC SSD - (mini PCIe SSD for extra storage)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive SONY BD-5750H 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ HD-Audiophile-Grade Sound External
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Big thanks out to the support and sales team for their guidance and advice on my purchase, special mention to Darrin Cooper, thanks for all your patience :punk:

Last edited:

kingmeisteruk

Will do, the only option they didn't have available was the Killer Wireless card but I'm more than happy to settle for the N-6300, just have to make sure the wife doesn't find out the price or there'll be hell to pay :)

rickne

Master Poster
He may like me have some restrictions in that department. For instance most of my time I am working. Talking 6 days a week 12 hour shifts night and day. My M17x allows me to take my computing time with me. Seen as Im mostly a desk worker on my own I just play at work ^^. A desktop wouldnt get used as my home time involves 2 kids soon to be 3 and the wife.

It just so happens I have an Aurora R4 at home but only because I got it 50% off haha. But ill be upgrading my M17x very soon once I decide on my specs here. I wanted that 3920x chip but couldnt justify the price. The CPU power to GPU balance wasnt right. But if you have the funds why not. Thats the beauty of having a choice right. You have the best you can get there pal without having Dual GPUs. SLI would be amazing. I know my current Crossfire X cards are keeping my old set up alive.

rickne

Master Poster
Im still torn. I really would prefer to stick with Dual GPUs hense Im still looking at the M18X from Alienware. I just have issue with how they manage HDD setups.

kingmeisteruk

I live and work in Dubai and travel a lot hence the laptop, I did price up a desktop out of interest but once it got up towards 5k I decided it wasn't going to happen. I currently have the ASUS G73S and decided that as I wanted to upgrade it would be best to go bespoke as you get what you want rather than having make do with a standard issue, hence the reason I came here and pretty much all the reviews I have seen are pretty positive. I did price up the M18X but for almost the same spec as I have purchased you are looking at close to 6 grand which is pretty steep for a dell product.

rickne

Master Poster
Yeah I will probably admit defeat and accept a single GTX 680M is enough. Heck im using twin 5870s right now and even they do a fine job. And they dont come close to a single 680.

rickne

Master Poster
Nice one dude. Just completed my order. Slightly less than yours but I musnt grumble :p Lets hope they come quick eh

EYEONME

Hi all,

Just put in an order for my new Vortex III spec below and now just have to go through the painstaking waiting game until it's ready, then it's on to some serious high spec gaming :cool:.

Chassis & Display Vortex Series:17.3" AUO Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 480GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
RAID NONE
SSD CACHE DRIVE 120GB OCZ® NOCTI mSATA MLC SSD - (mini PCIe SSD for extra storage)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Big thanks out to the support and sales team for their guidance and advice on my purchase, special mention to Darrin Cooper, thanks for all your patience :punk:

That's a huge build, when did you place your order?!

robhar130

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

RAID NONE

Well, some of the guys back at PCS will be getting a nice Christmas bonus from the money you're supplying them with this build order! :santa:

kingmeisteruk

That's a huge build, when did you place your order?!
Just placed it last Friday but it's the end of Ramadan here in the UAE so waiting on payment to go through as everything seems to stop for a few days for the Eid al Fitr holiday, hope to have it here within the next 2 weeks although I heard they were waiting on the 3920XM to come in.

kingmeisteruk

Nice one dude. Just completed my order. Slightly less than yours but I musnt grumble :p Lets hope they come quick eh
Thanks Rickne, this was kind of a gift to myself due to a promotion at work so decided to go all out, I usually change out my laptop every 18 months but the great thing about these laptops is they are great for upgrading so you can replace as you need to moving forward, hopefully I won't need to shell out in 18 months time.

I see that PCS are putting on an upgrading section to their website to assist on this aspect which will be a great help to all.

Can't wait for it to arrive, should be here hopefully within the next couple of weeks :gunsmilie:

robhar130

Bronze Level Poster
Just to keep you updated, you'll be having a long wait due to the GTX680M being out of stock and PCS won't be recieving another shipment for a while, even then the backlogged orders may take the entire shipment and then you'll need to wait on another one. xD

I found out the hard way by wanting to upgrade the my current order from the GTX675 to the 680 but they won't allow me too due to stock levels. :(

Last edited:

kingmeisteruk

Well, some of the guys back at PCS will be getting a nice Christmas bonus from the money you're supplying them with this build order! :santa:

LOL, I know, damn, I should have asked for some kind of cut or for a nice bottle of something to be shipped with the Laptop :pinch:

rickne

Master Poster
Weird. When I went to 5 day express delivery it only showed the 3720QM chip and WI-FI card unavailable. Oh well Im used to waiting a silly amount of time for my builds having always purchased from Dell in the past.

kingmeisteruk

Just to keep you updated, you'll be having a long wait due to the GTX680M being out of stock and PCS won't be recieving another shipment for a while, even then the backlogged orders may take the entire shipment and then you'll need to wait on another one. xD

I found out the hard way by wanting to upgrade the my current order from the GTX675 to the 680 but they won't allow me too due to stock levels. :(

Hmmm, I received an e-mail stating that all the components were in stock aside from the processor but they were expecting this "very soon", lets see what notes come on my order once the payment has cleared :no: