The Beast is on the Way !!

kingmeisteruk

If you click on Vortex spare parts the batery is showing as out of stock :stuart:

Just received an e-mail from sales team after I queried them on the GTX 680 stock issue, they stated that stock levels were good and it shouldn't be a problem for my build, they were running low on Vortex III chassis but they do have some in stock and were expecting a delivery ??

kingmeisteruk

Really? I was told i'd have to wait 3-4 weeks to get a GTX680M, I might just ring them.. :mad:

Hey robhar130, you know the old saying "good things come to those who wait", personally I think that's a rubbish saying, I want it and I want it yesterday :devil2:!!

It might be worth ringing them, let me know how you get on and good luck :clown:

kingmeisteruk

Hi there Liberator,

Not great news matey, just got a mail yesterday that due to high demand in the GTX608M chassis they are out of stock, expecting delivery early October :mad:, they did offer to swap for an AMD7970M and refund the saving but I refused and said I'd rather wait, it's not too bad as I'm off on me hols next week for 3 weeks so can do without for now but hope you are have better luck !!.

To be fair as much as I'm annoyed and want to spit my dummy out they've been very upfront about it and have offered solutions which you've gotta give them credit for :)

When you're spending this much on a build you kind of want it yesterday but just like everyone you still have to wait which for us all is the agonizing part.

BTW, just checked out your spec, pretty fancy dude, got some serious burning the midnight oil ahead with that kind of gaming firepower :yes:

Let me know how you get on as it was only a couple of days after I went from processing to pre-production before they updated me with the solemn news I did not want to hear.

kingmeisteruk

Just out of interest why do you need such a large amount of RAM?
Hi shy_147. the simple answer is I just wanted the highest spec they had.

I had looked into buying the Alienware M18X with the highest spec available (yes with the same RAM) and it was going to be almost double what I am paying with PCS and Dell could not match the spec I have bought through PCS so I didn't mind paying what I did here for top spec on everything :)

brukin

Silver Level Poster
Hi shy_147. the simple answer is I just wanted the highest spec they had.

I had looked into buying the Alienware M18X with the highest spec available (yes with the same RAM) and it was going to be almost double what I am paying with PCS and Dell could not match the spec I have bought through PCS so I didn't mind paying what I did here for top spec on everything :)

Unless you are doing some serious video work or running multiple VM servers on your machine you won't even touch at least 16GB of that ram. Only thing it will do will use more power and drain the battery faster if you are ever using it away from a power socket ;)

shy_147

I have just ordered a Skyfire II with 1600mhz 8GB and I only went for the 1600mhz because it's about £8 more than the standard RAM so makes sense.

I will be running multiple VM's (4-5) with Windows Server 2008 as well as Exchange 2010 and I will only be using probably half at any given time. 16GB at the time seems great because it sounds an awful lot, but it truly is not needed unless you will be using this laptop as a Domain Controller for about 20+ machines.

You could have saved some money and gone for 8GB. Just my view of it :)

kingmeisteruk

I have just ordered a Skyfire II with 1600mhz 8GB and I only went for the 1600mhz because it's about £8 more than the standard RAM so makes sense.

I will be running multiple VM's (4-5) with Windows Server 2008 as well as Exchange 2010 and I will only be using probably half at any given time. 16GB at the time seems great because it sounds an awful lot, but it truly is not needed unless you will be using this laptop as a Domain Controller for about 20+ machines.

You could have saved some money and gone for 8GB. Just my view of it :)

Thanks for the advice shy_147, I compromised and went for the 16GB and changed my spec to the Vortex III extreme with the SLI set-up :shifty:

rickne

Master Poster
Nice on King. Well Jealous. It will last for ages. Been playing Bordelands 2 and the 680 blows it away.

kingmeisteruk

Cheers Rickne, just got BL2 on my Asus G73, only got the 560M in there so looking forward to how the new machine compares with the 680M's.