The Crew

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
My opinion of the game is that the idea is great but its missing a lot *cough* 60fps!

But it's certainly fun to drive across USA in a sports car, instead of across Europe in a lorry.

Spuff

Expert
With GTA now not coming out until the end of January I went ahead and pre-ordered The Crew in order to fill the car gallivanting void.
From the beta play I watched it didn't actually look all that fun, and I was going to wait for reviews before I plunged, but once the world is player populated and with any changes since beta it could be nice.

the idea is great but its missing a lot *cough* 60fps!

"We are aiming at a 60 FPS on PC for the launch of the game and the actual Beta doesn’t represent the final game."

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It's fun in the same way that Euro Truck Simulator 2 is fun. It's just driving around freely! And personally I love that. In The Crew you aren't just limited to big lorries either, you have a whole range of supercars and hypercars to rocket across the states!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You can drive around freely, but there's missions, tasks, races and stuff. High speed action, which is not like Euro Truck.

You don't have to do the missions and stuff really. You can gain money and XP just through driving around, albeit not so quickly but that means you can still get to the better cars.

The reason I like ETS2 is because its just driving, its relaxing and cheaper than driving in the real world (less traffic too :p). I have about 3 days playing time on it. I generally play it whilst doing something else, like listening to music or watching a movie or something on the other screen because I get bored watching films.

Spuff

Expert
You don't have to do the missions and stuff really. You can gain money and XP just through driving around, albeit not so quickly but that means you can still get to the better cars.

Yes, indeed, going your own way is an integral part of the appeal. You had said it was just driving around freely.

I want to form a convoy and drive all the way across the USA with the song Convoy on constant loop all the way. You can be rubber duck.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Haha I'd be up for that :D

I'll probably get it once I can get it for less than £20. Kinguin has already got it for £25 but thats a little too much for me and I would prefer a Steam key that links to uPlay and not just uPlay

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I was gifted it, and its ok. I did first experience what I thought was a major bug but it seemed to be the Ubisoft servers (Surprise, surprise). If you are looking for a street racing game replacement to the latest (awful) Need for Speed game then this might be the game for you. Like any Ubisoft game it still has a number of bugs, although no where near the level of AC Unity. Performance is ok although I've only had the chance to play it on my laptop so far.

For me, I've never used any of the online features. I just want to roam about by myself and not be disturbed. Others might prefer having some other players to play coop with but it's not for me.

Handling of cars also isn't the greatest, feels more arcadey than the Need for Speed or Burnout games and it can be really hard to control a vehicle even on tarmac at barely even high speeds. The cars just don't feel attached to the road as they should in a normal racing game, although I haven't got to use the other car types yet so they may have better handling.

If I hadn't been gifted it, I probably would have still bought it, but when it was a tenner and had been patched properly.

Spuff

Expert
I've been playing it for about 5 days. I'm enjoying it a lot.
The driving mechanics make no attempt at being any kind of simulation. It has its own weird rules of physics. The AI has a very choreographed behaviour. But the behaviour of everything is predictable and once you are used to it I find the handling of the game no problem. The handling of vehicles does improve significantly as you level them up. My highest vehicle rating so far is about 580, vehicles seem to top out at just above 1000 from what I've seen on Twitch.
The graphics don't have a high degree of texturing. You don't get the stop to admire the scenery moments like you might in something like Skyrim. But each area does have a very distinct feel with unique graphical assets. If you are familiar with any of the real cities or areas depicted, the feel of those places are captured very well in the game. The map is huge.
Despite the huge map you can travel instantly to any place you have been, plus from the outset you take rail and plane flights to distant places you have not yet been. In free roam you can switch instantly to any vehicle you own anywhere on the map, which is really good.
There are many short challenges of different kinds all over the map which earn you money and points and vehicle improvements if you do well enough. There are also several more than an hour long events if you wish to do some hardcore driving. There's loads of goals to aim for in car improvements and purchases.
I've hardly played any events with other players. The co-op option in the tasks has seemed to be adversarial competition and not cooperation at all in the ones I've done.
During my 5 days of play I haven't experienced the slightest glitch. I'm playing on max settings and frame rates never seem anything than very smooth.

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Thank you for the great reviews guys. Much appreciated!!

I watched ONLY a couple of videos yesterday and I didn't think much of the way the car turned. It's weird. They don't turn like they should, they seem to move sideways, if you get my meaning.

Yes the map is HUUUUGGEE. I've heard there are races which involve you driving round the whole map and takes some hours to complete.

I prefer my own space too, and I wouldn't go online.

I've heard that the engine sounds are quiet?
The soundtrack is rubbish and the cops are more aggressive?

You also have to grind the game in order to gain the parts needed to upgrade your vehicle for the race?

Is it worth buying it at £42.99 for the Limited Edition from GAME?

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Well, I watched a few videos and I ordered the game. (The Limited Edition one). I'll play the game for a while and see if I think it's worth getting the season pass.

Spuff

Expert
I prefer my own space too, and I wouldn't go online.

I've heard that the engine sounds are quiet?
The soundtrack is rubbish and the cops are more aggressive?

You also have to grind the game in order to gain the parts needed to upgrade your vehicle for the race?

Is it worth buying it at £42.99 for the Limited Edition from GAME?

You have to be online to play the game and you will always have other players on the map. But you don't have to join in with any other players, and you mostly won't actually see any other players except for their markers on the map. You certainly can do the main story and optional activities solo, I've only played solo so far. It's quite fun when you do meet other players and you drive alongside each other to show off your vehicle, or engage in a push of war and try to smash each other up - and if someone does hassle you then you can just fast travel somewhere else.
You can adjust the relative level of the effects, music and dialogue. I don't think the engines are overly quiet if you set the levels accordingly. The sound content is fine to me.
Doing activities to get money, points and parts is part of the game. It's what the game is apart from just driving about. The main story missions will improve your stats enough for you to be able to complete the next story mission it seems to me.
Not having the special edition I can't really say if it's worth having the things it offers. I got my standard edition for about £28, I don't think it would be worth £14 for the extra things in the special edition.

Last edited:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Is the game worth it? I played the beta and was undecided since It only lasted an hour of tutorials pretty much...

I love Forza Horizon and Forza Horizon 2 (on xbox 360, yuck!) and also love the NFS series. Is this game worth it or not?

Spuff

Expert
Is the game worth it? I played the beta and was undecided since It only lasted an hour of tutorials pretty much...

I've played for about 2 or 3 hours a day for a week, mainly doing the main story and any road challenges I encounter on the way to places. The main story will take lots of hours to finish. And that's just the main story, there's loads else to do.
For the £28 I paid for it, I'm glad I got it.

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I cancelled the Limited Edition since Game was taking ages to post it. I bought it from somewhere else but only the standard edition. I played the game a few times and then bought the season pass yesterday.

If anyone wants to add me on the game, my name is FishyFrags

NilSatis

Bright Spark
I bought this too, think the reviews were unbelievably harsh to be honest. The game seems great in most areas. There are issues with the ai and rubberbanding, but the driving and handling is a lot better than I expected. There is a hell of a lot of game here; and I feel the comments on the graphics were pretty harsh too.
Obviously the story is pants....but then its never going to be great. Some nice cutscenes etc and generic characters as per usual. I love the car customisation, and the fact that getting parts does change things up a bit, you get a good sense of progression. Lots to see and do, and there are secret things to find too, so it seems.
On my pc at least; the game runs nicely for the most part at max settings aside from the aa. There is something very wrong with the aa and vsync in this game, as it kills performance a lot more than it should. Simply activating it in Nvidia control panel or in my case forcing it in Radeon Pro to be dynamic, and any aa you need; increases performance a lot to ensure a smooth 60fps most of the time. (R9 290 windforce and 2500k @4.6ghz.) There is due to be a patch out soon for these issues, but knowing Ubishart; you are better off using your own fixes for now :D
Sticking the driving assists to Sport or hardcore is also a lot more fun. Hardcore is a little...spin happy, but sport is fine. I will add you guys on the game when I can, mine is the same as this: NilSatis. Please add me up too! Im still a noob for now; hoping to find more time to play and not just cruise around aimlessly pretending im touring the US. All in all, i recommend if you can get a good price. I scoped a cheap Uplay key out and am not regretting it, but i probably will cough up for the season pass too at some point which SHOULD have been included in the game as it is.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Just sent you a friends request NilSatis.
Yep I also think they were too harsh on their reviews. I was actually shocked by how great the graphics were when I got on to the game!!!
I haven't touched the graphics settings, they appear to be set on ultra or high. I set the fps to 30fps, but I changed it to 60 and the game runs quite well.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Anyone know why I'm getting a constant flickering when I'm on the 'Warning: Read Before Playing' screen? Game won't go past the screen.

Could it be the new GPU update?