Thermal (re)paste options

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
As I've seen a couple of red temp warnings over the last few days (but not during the hotter days we had last week, so I don't believe it's ambient temp related), I thought it about time that I re-pasted my almost 3-year old Corsair H100i AIO...or is it time for a complete replacement :oops:

The fans/rad are dusted regularly and the top filter is removed as that's purely radiator exhaust so shouldn't need much dust protection.

What is the recommendation? Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut/Extreme, Conductonaut/Extreme, or something else?

Spec as required by forum rules...
(and now I see why people are reticent to post their spec from their order page, as any changes you've been 'forced' to make to your order do not copy over, and you have to do the tweaks manually) :LOL:

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 220T RGB AIRFLOW MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP, LHR - now RTX4090FE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
NONE
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge
Keyboard & Mouse
Corsair Gaming K70 Rapidfire Mechanical KB - Cherry MX Speed
Keyboard & Mouse
NONE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll be watching this as the cosmos is kicking red temps, and I've a balance on my amazon card

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I’d be extremely surprised if it was anything to do with the paste application.

But I’d suggest the new Kryosheet: https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/625-kryosheet-en
Does the pre-applied Corsair stuff last a long time then?

I’d only come to this conclusion as the last step of diagnosing my recent >90°C warnings on the 5800X…which had been faultless until then. I’ve checked/cleaned the intake fans 1-by-1, checked/cleaned the AIO fans, and taken off the rad and blown through it with my IT Duster.

There is, and never has been any overclocking, and I’m not a 24hr/day gamer. Maybe I need to re-tweak my fan curves to see if that helps any…whilst running Furmark.

BTW, I was looking at the new Kryosheet, but it’s not showing up in the UK distributor/reseller listings yet…and the German sellers don’t seem to want to post anything to the UK.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does the pre-applied Corsair stuff last a long time then?
I didn't change mine for the whole 9 years it was in service

Check the coolant temp, fans are unlikely to change the temp to much of an effect, it's more pump speed. If the coolant temp is higher than normal, up the pump speed profile and see if that brings it down, if not it may point to a blockage or leak of some kind.

You can get the Kryosheet on Amazon:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally, the official UK stockist of Thermal Grizzly stuff is Overclockers, does appear the Kryosheet just hasn't made it's way over here as yet, fingers crossed it won't be long.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, did a Furmark 'CPU Burn'16 thread run a while ago, and the shot up to 90.4c package / 91.3 CCD.

Max temps on the cores were:
#0 82.1c​
#1 80.5c​
#2 88.8c​
#3 86.3c​
#4 90.0c​
#5 88.1c​
#6 87.4c​
#7 85.5c​

Highest speeds were 5049MHz on 0/6, and 4899MHz on the others. Stable speeds at these temps were 4474Mhz on all cores.

Fans went to full as they should (~2600rpm), pump went to max (~2900rpm), and coolant didn't go above 30c during this 10 minutes.

After the test the temp went back down to their idling ~40c/32c after 2 minutes, and the coolant is reporting ~27c after 5 minutes...but even with everything on 'extreme', the coolant temp has not dropped any further 10 minutes later so will consider that the baseline at current ambient temp.

So is this 'normal' or is that the system throttling a little?

Whilst running Furmark CPU-Burn...

HW.png

H100i-1.png

...10 minutes after test finished:
H100i-2.png

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Prime95 would be the CPU test for reference but I wouldn't recommend doing it right now if you're having cooling issues

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Coolant wise it looks fine, I think the 27C post stress test is the ambient level, and is well below critical levels. Even under load, if coolant stayed under 30C, that's very god. Anything between 40 and 50C is fine, above 50C is a worry and 60C is absolute limit

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Coolant wise it looks fine, I think the 27C post stress test is the ambient level, and is well below critical levels. Even under load, if coolant stayed under 30C, that's very god. Anything between 40 and 50C is fine, above 50C is a worry and 60C is absolute limit
But that's why I'm wondering if the cooling plate is not conducting heat into the coolant as efficiently as it was, as I'm sure I normally see coolant temps in the 40's.

Not that I'm doing 24-hour renders or anything, so I'm sure the odd peak to 91ºc won't do it any long term damage...and it doesn't seem to go any higher (yet).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But that's why I'm wondering if the cooling plate is not conducting heat into the coolant as efficiently as it was, as I'm sure I normally see coolant temps in the 40's.

Not that I'm doing 24-hour renders or anything, so I'm sure the odd peak to 91ºc won't do it any long term damage...and it doesn't seem to go any higher (yet).
The max temp on the 5800x3D is 90c, they're not like intels with 105c ceiling.

So it's running in the red, it should be maxing at about 85 and under an AIO I would have thought nearer 80

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll stay away from running any benchmarks/stress tests then...and will see what condition the paste is in when I get the replacement super-dooper-naut-opad stuff.

Maybe I can plumb in my spare supercharger intercooler? I would put in a H115i as a replacement, but I think the case size means the rad would hit the motherboard 😤

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

A fair point, be interesting to see if a remount and new paste makes a difference. Post pics of your paste application for criticism/review/feedback :p

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A fair point, be interesting to see if a remount and new paste makes a difference. Post pics of your paste application for criticism/review/feedback :p
I think the method of application of the Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet (of which I’ve ordered AM4-size) means I hopefully can’t bugger it up 🤨