Thermal (re)paste options

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have you fitted it? Is it the correct size? As my laptop Processor was quite old I had to cut the sheet to fit it, but that was with the old carbonaut sheets
No not done it yet been at work, Amazon shoved it through letterbox, hoping to do it later on today, will run some test before and after

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It said the expected delivery date is 7-12th July, and I was hoping to get it done at the weekend, but it's not arrived yet 😤

But since I ordered it, I've had no hotspot temps over 82ºc. The PC is obviously worried I'll operate on it and it will come out in a worse condition.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
But since I ordered it, I've had no hotspot temps over 82ºc.
well these are what I'm getting on the laptop after one minute of stress test using aida64

full load CPU Pre repaste 1 minute.png

full load GU Pre repaste 1 minute.png

I'll post equivalent screenshots once I've sorted it

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok, so a couple of rooky mistakes to watch out for when doing a laptop:
  1. Make sure you've undone all the screws before trying to remove the heat sink and fan assembly
  2. Make sure you've got enough to do both CPU & GPU (Got some paste ordered for same day delivery for the GPU through Amazon) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09NLXFSQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the sheet for a mobile CPU i.e laptop

View attachment 37633
Where? I can only see a smudge :LOL:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well that was a success no figures in red, ran Aida64 stress test for 3 minutes compared to this mornings 1 minute and these are the results:

full load CPU Post repaste 3 minute.png

CPU with Cryo sheet

full load GPU Post repaste 3 minute.png

GPU with BSFF Thermal Paste

Improvements in temps for both CPU & GPU

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well that was a success no figures in red, ran Aida64 stress test for 3 minutes compared to this mornings 1 minute and these are the results:

View attachment 37641
CPU with Cryo sheet

View attachment 37642
GPU with BSFF Thermal Paste

Improvements in temps for both CPU & GPU
That's pretty impressive, any intel mobile chip operating under 90c without an undervolt is quite an impressive accomplishment, especially the 10th gen, I'm quite taken aback by that!

Obviously no direct comparison, but this is mine with a i7 4700MQ after 4 minute Aida 64 stress (only measuring CPU) on Carbonaut

1689024271591.png

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's pretty impressive, any intel mobile chip operating under 90c without an undervolt is quite an impressive accomplishment, especially the 10th gen, I'm quite taken aback by that!

Obviously no direct comparison, but this is mine with a i7 4700MQ after 4 minute Aida 64 stress (only measuring CPU) on Carbonaut

View attachment 37643
Cheers mate, I've just run a WebODM project using 67 photos, I ran the same project the other week, and tonight it finished about a minute quicker, clocks were hitting around 4.5GHz

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good info cheers Martin, genuinely didn't expect such a big difference being able to sustain those higher clock speeds for longer is awesome. Next question to be answered is how long it lasts but this is really promising

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Good info cheers Martin, genuinely didn't expect such a big difference being able to sustain those higher clock speeds for longer is awesome. Next question to be answered is how long it lasts but this is really promising
I've had my carbonaut on now since June 2019, temps literally haven't changed at all.

From what I saw on Der8auer's announcement video of the Kryosheet, it's nano wafers of graphene that are glued together and then sliced again across the grain, so they're ultimately strong, I fully expect it will be bullet proof for decades

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've had my carbonaut on now since June 2019, temps literally haven't changed at all.

From what I saw on Der8auer's announcement video of the Kryosheet, it's nano wafers of graphene that are glued together and then sliced again across the grain, so they're ultimately strong, I fully expect it will be bullet proof for decades
WOW!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
you're welcome @Steveyg , certainly will be interesting to see how long it lasts, its so easy to use as well, just clean old paste off the heat sink and the die, and lay the sheet in place and replace the heat sink.

One thing that would be nice is if in the one for laptops they supplied 2 sheets, 1 for the CPU and one for the GPU

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Mine's still not here :cry:😢😭

But on the bright side mine is still working fine...whereas my mate's new PCS build (less then 4 weeks old) seems to have a GPU problem (7800x3d + Zotac RTX4090 + 1200W PSU) - and I've told him to register on here for some advice, and to call PCS support telling them everything we did over TeamViewer to troubleshoot.

We've already done basic troubleshooting such as stress testing the CPU & GPU individually. CPU can go for 30 mins at 89ºC without crashing...but the moment we put any stress on the GPU it crashes and the logs show lots of nvlddmkm.sys errors. Have DDUd & reinstalled both the AMD and Nvidia drivers a couple of times just in case, and it's definitely the Nvidia GPU causing it.

Last edited: