Thinking of getting a Laptop

Sweeney47

I've been thinking of getting a laptop for a while now, purely for Windows Office and Adobe products, not for gaming or anything too power hungry. The problem is I have no Idea about them... never have. I dont know a good processor from a bad etc. Anyway I wanted quite a cheap (£3-400) one but the only one thats really cheap is 10.1" screen which I dont want so Ill have to settle for the £500+ one... Anyway what do you think of this spec? Im more concerned about the image/video editing that im likely to do on it, will it handle it fine?

Chassis & Display
Genesis II: 15.6" LED Backlit 16:9 Widescreen (1366x768) Super Clear Glare
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3 Mobile Processor i3-350M (2.26GHz) 3MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
2GB SAMSUNG 1066MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
Mobile Intel® 5 Series Integrated Graphics
Memory - Hard Disk
250GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 5 in 1 Card Reader (SD/ SDHC/ MS/ Ms-Pro/ MMC)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (AS STANDARD)
USB Options
4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Genesis Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (4,400 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Carry Case
TARGUS CITY GEAR NOTEBOOK BACKPAC TCG650 (£39)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Price: £578.00 including VAT and delivery.

Reactions: PCS

Sleinous

Author Level
I think, for what you want to use it for, this is good, as, I believe you can still add more RAM into this laptop at a later date anyways.

Meds

Hey,

Yeah the spec looks good for simple office & photo editing apps. As sleinous says, you will be able to add another 2GB RAM in the future should you want to which is always a bonus - not that often you can upgrade a laptop! To get the price down a bit, you could always remove the Targus Carry case and get a cheapo one from ebay or something?

Sweeney47

the carry case is only £39 and I could probably get away without having one at all and on the scale of things its not much compared to the rest of it.

I am currently torn between a new monitor and a laptop, unfortunately after the new PC im not in a position to get both :D

Meds

Hehe... I know the feeling. I want to upgrade my desktop to "current technology" as I'm still on an old Core 2 Quad & DDR2 RAM but funds just wont stretch. I reckon I could have enough by end of year but will no doubt get wasted away on Christmas stuff!