thinking of getting an SSD

D1craig

Enthusiast
hey there i bought a computer almost a year ago now, its running great :)

the window with the performance index popped up while i was messing about looking at things. and it all looked awesome just under 8 for everything except my hard drive. so i got to thinking would i be able to buy an SSD and install it to my computer? my specs are -
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB
KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850 - DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4
Capable
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s HDD, 32MB Cache (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£69)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

i have tried to read up things but there are so many code numbers and letters that it just goes over my head and i forget what i have just read lmao.

i am thinking of a budget of about £100 and i saw this samsung 1 that everyone was saying was great because they rea dup that all the others had/have conflicts-
Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 128GB Desktop Accessory Kit with Free Norton Ghost 15 i didnt post a link because im sure i got told off for it like a year ago lol.

thanx in advance for any help.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You could install an SSD but you would need to install your operating system on it to get any real benefit,even then the only benefit is saving a few seconds here and there,like faster boot and loading times.
Not worth the hassle in my opinion.

D1craig

Enthusiast
hmm, okay then its not like im running slow or anything.

shame though my score for the hdd i have is 5.9 where as everything else is 7.7 or more :(

how would i go about installing the OS on it? would it conflict with the hdd i have? or is it pretty easy to do this and get rid of it from your hdd?

thank you for the reply mate probably not going to get one now lol

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I wouldn't take too much notice of the Windows Experience Index,in my opinion it's just an ego thing to a certain extent.All HDD's show a score of 5.9.
To transfer the OS to the SSD you would need to use something like Paragon Migrate OS to SSD as windows own back up program can't transfer the system to a smaller drive.,some SSD's come supplied with transfer software,but some people still report problems doing that.Having said that the concensus of opinion is it's best to do a clean install,which would mean backing up all your data and reinstalling all your applications.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
My windows performance is exactly the same, I wouldn't worry about it mate. 7.9's on everything except for 5.9 on HDD which I was shocked about because I assumed a Caviar black would score higher but apparently not. Like Vanthus said, SSD's are mainly for OS boot times and game loading times but to be honest most the threads I've read on this forum say that people don't notice a huge amount of difference between the SSD loading time and say a Caviar black so it's up to you really.