This message is driving me nuts!

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
My desktop keeps stopping every minute or two with the message "internet explorer has stopped responding". I am having to go into task manager and delete internet explorer and then go back into internet explorer until it happens again a minute or so later.

My OS is windows 10 and the internet explorer is 'I.E. 11' I think.

I have tried reinstalling windows but it still happens.

Any ideas please as it is making my PC unusable?

thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Basically don't use ie, it's old and doesn't run well on Windows 10. You'd be better off with chrome or if you have to edge.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I find that https://adblockplus.org/ helps i.e. 11 avoid a lot of problems. I'll still get period not-responding messages but it usually recovers the tab. But even then Internet Explorer probably isn't the best answer to any question these days.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I use Windows 10 and for some sites with work need to use IE and I have no such problems.

First thing I'd do is check if it's an add-on

Click the gear icon in the top-right hand corner and then click Manage add-ons

I'd start by disabling everything and see if the issue goes away. If it does, reactivate them one at a time.

I'd also run a good antimalware scan such as malwarebytes' (free) and a virus scan.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I use Windows 10 and for some sites with work need to use IE and I have no such problems.

First thing I'd do is check if it's an add-on

Click the gear icon in the top-right hand corner and then click Manage add-ons

I'd start by disabling everything and see if the issue goes away. If it does, reactivate them one at a time.

I'd also run a good antimalware scan such as malwarebytes' (free) and a virus scan.

Same here.

Ditto these replies. My Windows 10 (Anniversary) system has no issues with IE - mind you my IE is a vanilla version, I've installed no add-ons or extensions to it at all (because I only use it when I have to). I'd suggest you follow Tony 1044's advice and check that you have no add-ons, extension or accelerators installed. If you do disable them and check it again.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks to all. For now, I have reset internet explorer and disabled any add on's except Bullguard . I will continue with your advice if this does not work out.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Thanks to all. For now, I have reset internet explorer and disabled any add on's except Bullguard . I will continue with your advice if this does not work out.

If it does continue, I would advise disabling Bullguard too - these are exactly the kind of add-on that can slow IE down if they behave badly.

It is only temporary.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ideally you don't want any add-ons, plug-ins or anything else. What is Bullguard? What anti-virus are you running?

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
They are additional little applications that run within the browser such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader (for PDF's), Antimalware, additional search bars etc.

Some are helpful. Some are slow and awful. Some are malicious.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
They are additional little applications that run within the browser such as Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader (for PDF's), Antimalware, additional search bars etc.

Some are helpful. Some are slow and awful. Some are malicious.

Often add-ons and extensions are added when you install software. You have to be very careful when installing any software to uncheck those boxes that install stuff other than the actual products. Quite often you find search toolbars are added when you install software and these can cause problems too.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
I disabled the following...
Google Toolbar
Google Toolbar Helper
Windows Media Player
Windows XML HTTP 6.0
Shockwave Flash Object (MS Windows 3rd party application component)

I have had the " not responding" message just once in the last 24 hours so fingers crossed.

mishra

Rising Star
As mentioned before, forget about Internet Explorer! Install Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and you will not regret it. (Make sure you set Chrome or Firefox as your default web browser, but it should ask you for that during installation).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As mentioned before, forget about Internet Explorer! Install Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and you will not regret it. (Make sure you set Chrome or Firefox as your default web browser, but it should ask you for that during installation).

This isn't a solution to the OP's problem - it's a workaround.

Rakk

The Awesome
As mentioned before, forget about Internet Explorer!
Except that some web sites either don't work on anything but IE or work really badly on anything that isn't IE, so the OP may not be able to (even if they did want to - which they may not)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This isn't a solution to the OP's problem - it's a workaround.

I personally disagree... IE is useless, it doesn't display half the sites out there without sticking it in compatibility view, most addons cause it to crash, it swallows memory and frequently crashes, and most importantly is notoriously insecure. It's the most useless browser there is. Although yes, fixing the issue in question is an answer, I think the more long term solution is to ditch it and use something that works and is much more secure.