This message is driving me nuts!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I personally disagree... IE is useless, it doesn't display half the sites out there without sticking it in compatibility view, most addons cause it to crash, it swallows memory and frequently crashes, and most importantly is notoriously insecure. It's the most useless browser there is. Although yes, fixing the issue in question is an answer, I think the more long term solution is to ditch it and use something that works and is much more secure.

I'd agree that IE is less than ideal and I don't use it either, but it doesn't really help the OP to tell them 'to just use another browser'. For all we know they might have to use IE for reasons we don't yet appreciate. In any case I dislike sweeping issues under the carpet because that's easier than trying to fix them. Wouldn't you agree?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
With my recent experiences with IE I'm quite close to sweeping it under the carpet permanently tbh. :hammer:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm a Chrome guy. I don't like the fact that it has its own built in telemetry and effectively logs everything you do, but I have nothing to hide and it's pretty flawless.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I will be honest, I use (you might want to sit down for this!) Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, Opera, IE and Edge.

Of them all, I use IE because I have to. Edge is fast but since it is basically a raw browser with zero ability to have add-ins of any kind, it limits its usefulness (even some MS sites can't run with it). Chrome is good but full of bloat these days. Chromium is kind of its more secure cousin, but, with some of the bloat stripped out. Firefox is ok but Mozilla have this weird habit of breaking things at random between versions. I quite like Opera and it has a history of using more secure settings out of the box.

What the detractors of Chrome and IE so often forget is that they are currently the only two mainstream browsers that you can control with Group Policies which makes them a must-have for corporates.

For the most part, I have as little extra enabled on any of them as I can get away with except the usual suspects such as ghostery, ublock origin, adblock yada yada yada.

I would say that the sites that don't render properly in some of them to date, always work in IE.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I disabled the following...
Google Toolbar
Google Toolbar Helper

Windows Media Player
Windows XML HTTP 6.0
Shockwave Flash Object (MS Windows 3rd party application component)

I have had the " not responding" message just once in the last 24 hours so fingers crossed.

The ones I highlighted are big suspects in my eyes for causing issues. :)

By the way...seeing as my suggestion helped...you could hit the little star icon by my original suggestion and add to my reputation..it only takes seconds ;)

mishra

Rising Star
OP strikes me like a person who just want stuff to work. He doesn't want to spend hours fixing issues, changing add-ons, resetting things. I could be totally wrong (if so, I'm sorry) but sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution. If't it's a workaround so be it if the user is happy that's what's important.

Truth is IE is broken, it always was! It does work for some, but majority have issues with it, even Microsoft finally agreed it's a dead browser and is replacing it with Edge (which is introducing it's own share of issues).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OP strikes me like a person who just want stuff to work. He doesn't want to spend hours fixing issues, changing add-ons, resetting things. I could be totally wrong (if so, I'm sorry) but sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution. If't it's a workaround so be it if the user is happy that's what's important.

Truth is IE is broken, it always was! It does work for some, but majority have issues with it, even Microsoft finally agreed it's a dead browser and is replacing it with Edge (which is introducing it's own share of issues).

I can't really argue with any of that, as I said I don't like IE and only use it when I have to (which shouldn't be necessary in an ideal world but which sometimes is) but when a user says something like "how can I fix this issue with IE" they probably don't want to be advised to use another browser (though I appreciate that this is sensible advice :)). It's rather like another forum I belong to, whenever somebody asks for help with a Windows issue somebody always posts "get a MAC"....

I don't want to make a big thing of this, there are obviously many different ways of resolving issues.

:)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster

Wait...what? You mean to say, like IE6 which MS produced at a time when they believed they could subvert the internet standards that had already, by then appeared, and is quite possibly the single worst browser ever written wasn't fully functional??

To be fair to MS though, IE has improved with each subsequent version right up to the point where 11 is pretty much compliant. But, by then, I think they realised the whole IE brand was pretty toxic, hence the move away from it. Personally, I think they should've chosen a different name and icon.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Back again I am afraid. Now getting the "Internet Explorer not responding" message every minute or so. The only add on I have enabled is google toolbar.

Rakk

The Awesome
But it was working fine til you reinstalled the Google toolbar? (Your last post said it was working fine when you'd uninstalled everything from it)
If so then you can see whats causing the problem, it may be that it just wont play nice with the Google toolbar installed.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't understand why you would enable any addons at all unless you specifically require them. The mind boggles.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Back again I am afraid. Now getting the "Internet Explorer not responding" message every minute or so. The only add on I have enabled is google toolbar.

I think it might be wise at this stage to try another browser, at least temporarily. It would be useful now to find out whether this issue is restricted to IE or whether it's something related to your PC. Either Firefox or Chrome will do, you can always uninstall them afterwards if you want to keep IE.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Now disabled google toolbar and will keep you informed of outcome. What I can't understand, is that I never had this trouble in the more distant past, even when Google Toolbar was enabled. Perhaps it is windows 10 that is causing the problem?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The google toolbar is completely useless in any modern system as google can be automatically linked to your address bar (IE asks you what you want as your default search provider, just select google).

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
What does the Google toolbar even pretend to give? I've never had it, nor would I consider installing it.

I agree with Scotster - add ins are something you should only enable if they provide something you actually need.

Given you turned that particular one off and it all worked, turned it back on and had the problem, you've kind of answered your own question as to what is wrong...

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What does the Google toolbar even pretend to give?

It allows you to search via a little box underneath the address bar, basically it does exactly the same as any modern address bar... but it has a box for it. It was designed and intended for browsers that didn't directly search from the addy bar itself. It's completely pointless nowadays.