Thoughts on my Laptop Build - First PCS

WJS

Hello;
So I recently but the bullet and decided to upgrade from my HP Pavilion “gaming laptop”... yeah I know....

Anyway; a mate used PCS for a desktop so I decided to use them for my upgrade.

I have spec’d the below for a Defiance (the new one with no suffix):

Current spec:

Chassis & Display:
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 240Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU):
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10870H (2.2GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM):
16gb Corsair 2666Mhz

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB

Storage:
x2 Intel 660 1TB M.2 SSDs

My question is simple and answers will likely be more opinion based at this point I’m aware but I do value the opinions of the informed.

I currently have the 3060 6gb listed; would it be worth taking this the tier up to a 3070 max-q?

Thanks

Bhuna50

Author Level
Can you have a read here and in particular the bit about posting spec for advice - this will then enable people to see the full order and offer advice for your usage etc.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Regarding your question about the GPU, it's hard to know at this point in time. We still don't have any reports from PCS users that have already received their 30 series laptops (in order to compare graphics power) and also from other manufacturers, info is still rare.

The only educated guess I can make (as I've seen a comparison online) is that the full power 3070 performs better than a 3080 max-q, but we don't know if the same rule could be applied to 3060 x 3070 max-q.

subjodge

I ordered mine yesterday!

The main difference is I went for the 3070 max-q, I was looking at this to help me decide, regardless of the TGP you'll see that the 3070s have 256-bit busses where the 3060s have 192-bit, 3070s have a decent bit more CUDA cores as well. What do these things mean in real terms? I have absolutely no idea :) But big numbers right? Hellllll yeah brother. Anyway I'm taking one for the team and I'll try remember to do a performance review or something when it arrives!

I got some advice about the SSDs so I went with the Samsung 970 EVO drives as there wasn't a huge price difference if I remember right and they're rated better than the intel, faster / more writes before failing in general.