Tinker, tinker, tinker: time for upgrades

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Overall thoughts on the whole process? Really it's not that difficult. I wouldn't say it was a doddle, but if someone told me I had to do it again I wouldn't be concerned. The small size of the case (and the cooler that takes up a fair fraction of the cubic capacity) made it a bit trickier than I guess other cases would be, but not too bad at all.

So now I have all the power capacity my PC will ever need. Hurrah for that. And, even better, the RM1000x lives up to its billing: it is significantly quieter than the TX550m, far more so than I expected. So hurrah for that too!

Now, do all feel free to pile in and criticise the mess that passes for "cable management"!

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It looks great mate and sure you can't see any of the cables once the back panel is on so that's perfect cable management to me :ROFLMAO:

Honestly though it's brilliant practice and it's one of the more daunting tasks in my opinion so once you've done this there's pretty much nothing in computer construction/maintenance that you can't do. The thought of doing these things is always more difficult than actually just doing them, so yeah in concept seems like a lot but once you're actually doing it it's not too bad

Bravo man, always fun seeing people's tinkering

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It looks great mate and sure you can't see any of the cables once the back panel is on so that's perfect cable management to me :ROFLMAO:

Honestly though it's brilliant practice and it's one of the more daunting tasks in my opinion so once you've done this there's pretty much nothing in computer construction/maintenance that you can't do. The thought of doing these things is always more difficult than actually just doing them, so yeah in concept seems like a lot but once you're actually doing it it's not too bad

Thanks -- appreciate that.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

hear, hear

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It looks great mate and sure you can't see any of the cables once the back panel is on
But I know they’re there…

5CB77EE8-0F85-4A33-B1A2-58D332664DAB.jpeg

But in all seriousness, you’ve done a good job there, @sck451. It seems like the tinkering bug has sunk its teeth firmly into you and it’ll only get worse (or better, depending on your life outlook)

As for cable management, don’t let my obsessive tendencies cloud your world. It’s a decent job for a first time PSU change, which is one of the most awkward ones to do and a task I never relish. You’ll pick up on places to hide cables the more you do things like this.

Solid effort, thumbs up from me!

C0E3D2AE-A833-4117-B969-3427DEADD729.gif

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I check, and this morning a 5900X upgrade is less than £400 and a 3060 Ti upgrade is less than £500. It's getting closer...

(Curiously, the 5900X is 10% above what you can buy it for elsewhere, while the 3060 Ti is at least 10% below. PCS's upgrade pricing is weird.)