Tips for Windows 7 64-bit and a new PC

MJL

Bronze Level Poster
Hiyaaa

Is there I should do on my new PC e.g. Partitioning etc. Anything I should know about Windows 7 and anything I should know about 64-bit as Im moving from Vista 32-bit. Not much oh a tough question I just wanted to know the odd bits and bobs that you guys do to keep in controll of your amazing PC's. Mainly about the 32 to 64-bit is that I've heard from some mates that some software isn't compatible, such as there is no good version of MSN for 64-bit, I don't know but yh anything you think I should know.

kthxbyeee :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ive had no problems with software so far,actually windows7 has two programme folders for 32 & 64bit.Also ive had no problems with older games,albeit with a bit of tweaking.what do you mean by msn?

Sleinous

Author Level
Just a few things to note.

When you install a new OS on teh same HDD, regardless of an upgrade or a FRESH install, you will be left with ALL your old installation under "windows.old" in your C drive.

Once you have pulled off all teh docs and stuff you want to keep, instead of deleting teh folder, which often doesnt work as it says you dont have permission, head over to Disk Cleanup utility, then, when its analysed, click on the System Files button, bottom left of the dialog box that opens:

diskcleanup.png

This will brush away all of that windows.old folder away and you will now just have your regular windows install left, on Windows 7 x64.

Another thing to bear in mind, there are TWO program files folders, one is "Program Files" one is "Program Files x86", teh latter will often be used for most of your installations, even stuff like WinRar 64bit (although i think that that one now does infact install in teh correct folder) Anyway back to my original point... it DOESNT matter which folder you install in, its just to make this organised.

Next up, make sure your HDD/SSD is in AHCI mode in BIOS, im seeing many a computer turning up without AHCI selected in BIOS. Shame really.

Next up, NTFS file mode on your HDD should be standard, but triple check when Windows is installed. NTFS, apart from boasting file transfers bigger than 4GB (I think teh limit for any ONE file was 4GB on FAT32 wasnt it? Someone confirm please). anyway.... apart from teh single file limit being upped, it also kinda defragments the drive itself, so very VERY rarely need to run teh disk defragmenter on an NTFS formatted drive.

Apart from that there really is not much else to know.

With 64bit apps, sometimes you still need the 32bit app for other tasks, for example, the K-Lite Codec pack is 32bit and 64bit but I install both, because some codecs are only included in teh 32bit pack.

If youre playing java games, e.g. Minecraft, ive noticed it works far better with the 64-bit version of Java, as opposed to teh 32bit version thatc onstantly crashes HOWEVER, if you go on the java site and try to download the 64bit version, youre always redirected to 32bit, even if u use Internet Explorer 8 64-bit, (which is supposed to detect and give you teh 64bit download but still doesnt...)

So for that I have the link for the 64bit java if you ever should need it:

http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=43883

And that's about it.

MJL

Bronze Level Poster
Oh right thanks Sleinous, I did order my PC from PCS so should I bother checking for the AHCI mode and the NTFS file mode as you guys are 1337 and have most likely done it already? :)
+ rep

Sleinous

Author Level
It should be done, but the NTFS is dead easy to check, open my computer, right click on c drive, properties, and look at the "file system":

filesystem.png

As for AHCI I believe there is an easy way to check without opening BIOS:

Open up Device manager and check if the AHCI controller is showing, if it isnt or its showing as IDE or SCSI (is it SCSI???) I really cant remember what it was called but ANYWAY if its not shwing as AHCI chances are its not setup as AHCI.

AHCIdev.png

By the way, I think you missed the rep button :p Im still at 397 xD

I know, i'm cheeky like that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MJL

MJL

Bronze Level Poster
Beautiful help mate, I will check as soon as I have my custom build, oh and sorry about the rep I forgot to press the button hehe but dont worry you have your precious pixels now :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
What exactly is AHCI? I just checked my device manager and I don't have the controller for it :(
Not much of an expert on it mysellf but the 2 main advantages of AHCI over IDE though are hot swap and NCQ (if the drive supports NCQ).
NCQ (Native Command Queuing) allows drives to accept more than one command at a time