Today I Have

Yamikotai

Expert
I didn't get a first at uni, however I did spend the first year after I finished sitting the first few exams off my own back.
I'm aiming for a first at uni (just going into my third year), but either way I will be doing some extra exams (Cisco networking and VMWare virtualisation stuff) off my own back once I have a job that will allow me to pay for them. I want to be a cert hoover :p

Rakk

The Awesome
Lol....what is it that you do Rakk?
I've ended up being a software engineer, with some data analysis thrown in - just done a bit of work where there was some fun number crunching in an MSSQL database :)
I think being an accountant or actuary (which were my initial thoughts when starting off on a Maths degree) would've been far too stressful for me anyways - I don't do well with stress!

patmcg205

Bronze Level Poster
Good luck with your degree Yamokotai. Is that your final year?

Rakk I love the idea of been a software engineer, maybe we could do a day trade at some point! ;-). I did mathematics as well. My job is not too stressful although at times it's a little crazy! Just been dropped in the deep end with a new position where I meet up with our CIO (Chief Investment Officer) once every 3 months, think I may be spending a lot of time in the office.

patmcg205

Bronze Level Poster
My personal advice (not sure if it's worth much in your chosen field) is you ensure that you get any applications for Graduate jobs off prior to the Christmas term break. Large institutes are generally keen to do their graduate recruitment as early on as possible in order to get the best candidates and understand any recruitment shortfalls they may have as early as possible. This means that the best positions are generally only up for grabs pre Christmas.

If you manage to get in at this point you could find yourself with a conditional job offer to start as soon as you graduate. This should take a load off your mind and allow you to focus on study as well as insuring that you're not in the tangled mess of everyone applying once they complete their courses.

Just my thoughts, once again good luck.

Yamikotai

Expert
Thanks, I figured that would be the case with graduate positions. I'll probably leave actual applications until early November as I'll be diving into virtualisation with my homelab, and brushing up heavily on my networking before I start thinking of interviews, so I can be confident in actually passing them :p

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
Moved into my uni place, and got internet sorted:
2973953902.png

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I remember when I moved into halls and got the Internet - they didn't half make you pay for it though! Cost a fortune, but got the best speeds I've ever had!

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
Today, or to be precise yesterday, it was my daughter's birthday & I attended her tea party! Took family pics on her partners side .....in wait of my 'in process' laptop :) I must get some sleep!

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Fairly certain still being drunk from the night before at 1.30pm is not a good thing. I feel like death. God bless you, Newcastle.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I've still got some of the hangover I had yesterday, I hate that it takes two days to shift one now I'm getting older.