try this out

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2720QM (2.20GHz) 6MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BD-5730S 6x BLURAY WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£108)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1102 WIRELESS 802.11N - IDEAL FOR ONLINE GAMING

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH

Power Lead & Adaptor
2 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor (£16)

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£147)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft

Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Data Recovery
1 x Hard Drive Data Recovery Service - Protect 1 Hard Drive Against Failure (£29)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity 1

total £1210

could collect, im not too far from the shop :)

i would have had the i7 2620m (dual core) processor, but the website compatibility thing didnt like that, so i moved on to the equivalent price quad core

this thing will be speedy, and if i had enough cash for the 600GB ssd itd be insanely quick, im typing this on an asus eee netbook, and wondering whether to buy seperate antivirus, or put kaspersky on

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
Similar to mine.

But for £5, add the Silver Warranty. Gives you a year collect and return.

That should kick a** but do you really need the 1600MHz RAM as opposed to 1300? Might save you a few pennies. Same goes for the OS. And the Bluetooth. And the Blue-Ray writer. Most things on that rig can be upgraded later on. Perhaps give you a few £ to throw at the CPU.

It will be a beast anyway.

J

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Personally I think It's a waste of money buying anti virus nowadays,MS Security essentials does the job adequately.

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
Similar to mine.

But for £5, add the Silver Warranty. Gives you a year collect and return.

That should kick a** but do you really need the 1600MHz RAM as opposed to 1300? Might save you a few pennies. Same goes for the OS. And the Bluetooth. And the Blue-Ray writer. Most things on that rig can be upgraded later on. Perhaps give you a few £ to throw at the CPU.

It will be a beast anyway.

J

looked up the difference between the 1600 and the 1333 one, and theres little difference, even for overclockers, but do i get the i7 dual core, or the i7 quad in that spec?

dont think id use bluetooth, but dont you need that for wireless mouse, and headphones? not much point in getting a blue ray writer, but as they get cheaper, can have players, thinking of making it futureproof and not much point throwing £150 at the cpu for just 0.1ghz

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
need win 7 ultimate 64bit to make use of more than 4gb ram, not that many programs eat more than 4gb ram

MrShteeeve

You don't need ultimate to make use of more than 4gb of RAM you just need a 64bit system. 32bit systems were restricted to max of 4gb RAM.

FacetiousPizza

Silver Level Poster
need win 7 ultimate 64bit to make use of more than 4gb ram, not that many programs eat more than 4gb ram

Erm, I'm pretty sure you just need a 64 bit copy of Windows 7 to make use of more than 4GB RAM. If you have more than 16GB RAM then you need Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.... At least that's how it works for desktops.

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
ah, ok so ill have professional, dont need win xp mode when im dual booting xp, but it depends how good xp mode is, to whether i need to dual boot at all, at the moment id have about 200gb of space on that 750 hard drive

Last edited:

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster

Excuse my lazyness, but I don't think you need ultimate ed to make use of more than 4GB RAM. Haven't double checked.

Just bear in mind that the CPU and GPU are the hardest things to upgrade.

I would go for the Quad core but that's just my personal opinion.

If you're not sure (and it is quite a lot of money to spend), phone the actual elves at PCS and get some proper advice.

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
yeah, been looking it up, and im on XP home, so windows 7 home will do me nicely, dont need the flashy business dealings that ultimate has, so thats taken another £70 out of my bill, its gone down from £1240 to £1130 now, bit more bearable, with a toshiba qosmio i was looking at, itd be over £2000 to have one this good!

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
Excuse my lazyness, but I don't think you need ultimate ed to make use of more than 4GB RAM. Haven't double checked.

Just bear in mind that the CPU and GPU are the hardest things to upgrade.

I would go for the Quad core but that's just my personal opinion.

If you're not sure (and it is quite a lot of money to spend), phone the actual elves at PCS and get some proper advice.

need it for more than 16GB ram, and who has that, you wouldnt even half use that!

Jimbhoy

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry, forgot to respond to this.

You don't need internal Blue Tooth to use wireless mouse. Most come with USB Blue Tooth dongle. Amazon have got MS wireless mice / mouces / whatever the plural of mouse is, reduced from £80 to £20 for gaming / top spec.

jackh

Bronze Level Poster
had a brainwave, gone down a screen size, to 15.6, from 17, but whats the difference between the enigma 3 540, and the 520? is it just the graphics card?