TV card not working properly

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
The TV card in my new PC has stopped working properly. The TV card type is:

PCTV SYSTEMS DUAL TUNER TV CARD & WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE REMOTE

It worked fine until yesterday but now there is sound with no pictures. Just sound and a black screen.

Everything else on the TV card works. The GUI is fine, I can change channel etc, but no picture appears.

The sound is perfect. No suggestion of weak signal or anything like that. And there is nothing to suggest the signal is too weak for the picture, ie flashes of bitmapped images appearing....just a black screen.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
This is usually just a GPU driver glitch, updating the driver should sort it out, as they haven't updated the TV Card driver in some time, to do this, please do the following: go to http://game.amd.com/, go to Auto Detect drivers and update it, please do this before we try anything else :)

Hope it sorts it! Let us know how you get on.

EDIT: Also, can you confirm you are using Windows Media Center and not the program that comes with the TV Card?

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for this response.
I get an error every time I try to download the suggested driver. I've contacted AMD support about it.
I don't use Windows media centre for TV as the quality and performance of it is shocking. The TV card program is miles better so I use that.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I had the same problem,as in, getting sound but no picture,
although I did have the latest graphics driver,uninstalling and reinstalling it did indeed fix the issue,it now works very well with media centre.
Having said that I have a hauppauge TV card.
Try clearing your browser cache & downloading the driver again,
or try another browser.

mart22

Bronze Level Poster
I tired uninstalling then reinstalling PCTV drivers. Still the same, sound with no picture.

Oddly enough live TV in Media Centre has started to work really well. I can get most channels with great picture and sound. While PCTV worked, live TV in Media Centre was awful. Bad picture, bad sound or no picture or sound.

This isn't a massive problem. If I can watch TV in Media Centre then I'm happy enough. I'd just like all my TV watching options on a new PC to work properly.