Twin HDD Query

Stevieboy

Morning!

I took delivery of my new PC yesterday and it's fantastic!! Time scale, price, shipping and quality all A1.

Just have a query regarding the twin HDD's that are fitted. One is a 1TB WD Caviar Black, boot drive and the other a 3TB WD Caviar Green. I'm just wondering how these drives work together.

If I go start-control panel-system properties-hardware-device manager I can see both drives.
If I go my computer-hard disk drives I can only see the 1TB Black.

So, my question is, does the 3tb Green kick in only when required and if so when? [bearing in mind this is a brand new machine and has nothing stored on it yet]

Or am I missing something completely??

Cheers, Steve

Corfate

Author Level
The green powers down when not in use to save on power :) when you want to use the drive, it'll power up so you can do :) the black will be spinning all the time :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it seems that yours may not be correctly installed, go to device manager, and activate it somehow

sorry im not 100% sure what to do here, someone else may know better

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If I go start-control panel-system properties-hardware-device manager I can see both drives.
If I go my computer-hard disk drives I can only see the 1TB Black.

Sounds like to me the WD green is unallocated, press start, search disk management, then the green should be there, should be able to allocate it, then it will work fine. :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It's possible you only need to assign a letter to the drive.
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there.Click on start and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
If it's showing,right click on the black bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
make sure it's the correct drive.
Select change drive letter and paths.
click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu,then check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.
If you dont have the option to assign a drive letter,click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.
If the drive isn't showing in disk management check the connections of the drive,
one may have come loose.

Stevieboy

Using disk management it seems that the 3TB Green has been set up as Disk01, Primary Partition - the 1TB Black being Disk0, (C:).
Both are showing allocated, online & healthy.

Excuse my ignorance, this is the first pc I've had with more than one drive, but how do these work alongside each other in terms of operating/saving data to each drive?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Does the green drive have a letter assigned in disk management,
if not try what I suggested,then see if it appears in "computer"
or is it it now showing?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Right click on the blue bar then & assign a letter as I described in post 8.
If it appears in "computer" you can now use it to store data
& for backups.

Last edited: