Unable to find My Computer for file upload (email attachments)

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Today I am unable to attach any type of file to a virginmedia webmail when it has always been able to do so for years.

Tried Firefox and IE. But it can't get to my folders.

= blank white pop-up every time and PC hangs. :(

I contacted virginmedia support and we proved, with my spare Netbook, that it was a problem with my pc.

My pc also could not reach the downloads folder for the virginmedia troubleshooter too.

= blank white pop-up every time and PC hangs. :(

Any ideas?
CCleaner and MalWare Bytes run ok.

Windows 7 Home Premium with Service pack1.

steaky360

I am (perhaps wrongly) assuming your internet browser is up to date and your netbook uses the same browser as your PC [ie same version of Firefox/IE]

Have you got any kind of security software? I'd suggest you could check to see if your firewall/etc. is causing an issue. Maybe go so far as to disable it temporarily, try to connect to your virginmail account and then restart your PC to re-enable it again (or switch it back on) depending how well you know the software you could add the virginmail addresses to your 'allowed or white' lists. Similarly in your browsers you should allow those websites to open popups.

You could try to disable all browser extensions and add-ons if you have any too. Just in case its one of those that is causing an issue.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
sounds like some software is blocking it, which Anti Virus do you use? It's possible it has updated overnight and is now, for whatever reason, blocking access to your folders from a web browser.

if you go to the following site and try to upload a file do you get the same blank box? http://postimage.org/ Just click "browse" and see if it does he same as virgin media is doing. That way we can maybe narrow it down a little, or not as the case may be. See what happens.

Oh yeah, and have you cleared your cache and temp files etc? Would be surprised if both browsers had the same problem, but you never know.

Last edited:

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Norton Anti-Virus preventing upload and download without error message? Maybe...

Thanks guys, this sounds encouraging.

Yep, tried that link and it did do the same thing.

Anti-virus = Norton.

CCleaner was used as a routine clean-up. No change.

steaky360

Could be, have you tried to disable it as I suggested earlier? Or give it an exception so it won't block that site?

Do you have Norton Antivirus, or Norton Internet Security? I don't think the antivirus program itself has a firewall and if that's the case, you'll still be using Windows' built in firewall.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah turn your antivirus off, I think Norton has a feature for doing it for say 5 minutes. it will be in the settings somewhere, last time I used it you could just right click the icon in the bottom right corner and select disable... Try that

It certainly sounds like a software block...

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Yey! I finally managed to find the off switch for Norton Anti-Virus, v19.2.0.10. for the appropriate few minutes.

And yes the email attachment was successful!

Ok, so it does look like Norton is blocking it. Hmmm, how do I fix it? There are alot of switches and not one conveniently labelled 'enable email attachments' :)

The Norton Update check appears to block itself on Firefox?

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm well you have 2 options, one is to disable it every time you want to attach something. That would work alright if you don't do it often. the other is to just try stuff and see...

been so long since I used Norton that I couldn't tell you where to start, maybe someone else who has recent experience of it could point you in the right direction?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't use Norton but with all firewall and software defence types of application there is always the possibility of shooting yourself in the foot. :)

Is there anywhere in Norton where you can restore the Norton system to the defaults? If there is then do that. Failing that if you search online (and probably on the Symantec site) you'll almost certainly find detailed instructions for customising Norton and what all the knobs and buttons do. You'll just have to work carefully through those instructions to figure out which setting (or settings) is blocking your browser from accessing files.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

News update (I always try and reward your help by publishing any solutions I find).

So, I was on Symantec chat support and a good guy named Praveen actually rang me up after a few minutes when we discovered I couldn't save any download. We learned that...

1. We could run rather than save the latest Anti-virus with his workaround.
2. He admitted that my virginmedia webmail upload and a few others are not fully compatible with Norton Anti-virus (Outlook Express is fully covered for example). So the problem is not actually fixed. The suggestion from here is to report the problem to virginmedia and Symantec will try and meet them halfway.
3. He will in the meantime report this problem up the chain of command at Symantec, which I thought was good. He was quite clear.
4. He also added that my version of Firefox has a known issue and should be removed and installed with the latest. So we used IE during this.

So there is a problem with Norton Anti-virus but there are issues elsewhere too, for all the programmers to argue over. <shrug>

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
I still cannot Upload or Download with IE or Firefox. Clicking 'Browse' for an upload or 'Save' for a download hangs the pc as it cannot access my folders.

So far tests with turning off Norton Anti-virus (now the latest version of 21.1.1.7) hasn't fixed it.

Not sure what to try next.

Androcles

Rising Star
You don't have anything like peer block or a pop-up blocker running do you?

Is your Java up to date?

Last edited:

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
This could be true. I wouldn't know how to check. I certainly haven't changed anything since it worked all these weeks.

Just found Firefox > Options > Content > Block popup windows > ticked.

Turned it off and tried the earlier postimage Browse button to test. Still hung. :-(

Last edited:

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Starting to see this as a serious problem since I can't save an update.

Found Java to be up to date.

So question remains:
Why can't I upload or download from a web browser (as the browser can't get to see my folders)?
Firefox or IE. It all worked fine last week.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you want my advice, ditch Norton. I had some really horrible experiences with them years ago and ditched em for the free products like AVG. They are supposed to be much better now but I still don't use them when you can get free stuff that's just as good.

I would download the free version of AVG, uninstall Norton then restart the computer and install AVG free. See if that helps. If not then something might have went oopsie in windows itself, try doing a system restore to a point when it was know working. Maybe try that before uninstalling Norton.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Used the automatic System Restore from yesterday and....

It's fixed! :rockon:

Odd.

PC said that only Firefox and Norton would be affected. Makes no sense to me but it seems to work at the mo.

My TOP TIP:
Keep an emergency pc handy like a little Samsung Netbook. I was able to send a CRITICAL file today while everything else was going wrong.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you want my advice, ditch Norton. I had some really horrible experiences with them years ago and ditched em for the free products like AVG. They are supposed to be much better now but I still don't use them when you can get free stuff that's just as good.

I would download the free version of AVG, uninstall Norton then restart the computer and install AVG free. See if that helps. If not then something might have went oopsie in windows itself, try doing a system restore to a point when it was know working. Maybe try that before uninstalling Norton.

I'm glad you said that mantadog, I've been trying not to be critical of Norton. Frankly you don't need to pay for good firewall and anti-virus software these days and Norton does not exactly have good reputation. I would not renew the subscription you have with them, especially after they've admitted it's not fully working with your virginmedia webmail, and look for a free firewall and anti-virus solution. There are many to choose from. So save your money and get a better product into the bargain. :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Norton has improved a lot in the last couple of years and is still a good choice for people who are new to computers or have kids using it.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Done a bit of looking into AV and net sec not long ago and bit defender came out on top I believe. Norton gave me troubles like a decade ago and I have loathed it since.