Unwanted website is appearing on my computer

steaky360

If its a virus (or similar) then any antivirus program should get rid of it.

Have a look through your active programs in Task Manager and search for any that sound suspicious, might help narrow down if its a program that is causing the pop-ups.

jonbam

Enthusiast
Scans don't pick anything up :(

I have used malwarebytes, AdwCleaner & security essentials.

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Try AVG, you can get a free trial of the full version or just go for the free version right off the bat.

steaky360

Have you taken a look through your programs in task manager to see if anything suspicious is in there?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You will need to show processes from all users with the button at the bottom. Unlikely that this process would start under your name.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Hmmm maybe not then, have you checked the install list in the control panel? Maybe something in there?

Also you could try Spybot Search & Destroy, its usually the most effective with adware I find.

jonbam

Enthusiast
Spybot Search & Destroy from: http://www.safer-networking.org/

I don't see anything installed under programs. Firefox says it was installed on the 25/9/14
The problem with pop ups started on the 26/9/14

I think the pop ups are starting at a certain time 7pm ?? When I'm using the PC I don't see any popups, when I leave the PC the popups will be on my screen when I return to look at my monitor.

Hmmm maybe not then, have you checked the install list in the control panel? Maybe something in there?

Also you could try Spybot Search & Destroy, its usually the most effective with adware I find.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yes thats the one. Is it a Firefox extension then? Have you tried another browser to see if the same thing happens?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd try avast and run a boot time scan.

I'd also make sure nothing has installed to your internet browser, such as toolbars and junk like that.

it's also probably worth going through your installed programs, make sure nothing has latched on to any programs you may have recently downloaded/installed.

PaulJJ

Hmm I have Adblock plus installed on my firefox. I never get any popups. Would this help to aleviate his problem?

jonbam

Enthusiast
Hi

The popups have not appeared today, I got advice from the malwarebytes forum. I ran a lot of software tools & posted txt logs on the malwarebytes forum.

Jonathan

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Something has obviously burrowed in, if you are getting advice over at malware bytes then I think they will do better than most of us at helping you. I wonder if you got rid of the main application, but not quite all of it and it's went and resurrected itself...

mog3

Silver Level Poster
try doing adwcleaner in safer networking mode, but before that go through your browser extensions and add ons and remove anything you dont recognise, out of interest have you downloaded from Download.com recently, as i got the same problem last year?