Updating graphics drivers.

morowe

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all,

I have a 3Gb GeForce GTX 580 in my computer and am keen to update my graphics drivers as it has been suggested several times.

I have never had an issue before but have only ever done it on crappy old hardware, mixed with the fact all ive heard recently are horror stories of the update breaking and so on im a bit nervous to do it.

Are these worries/stories founded? is there any good practice tips before updating? should i bother? whats the worst case scenario?

thanks!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You shouldn't have any trouble updating to the latest driver from this link,
It's normally recommended to do a clean install of the driver,you can select that option during the install
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
If you do have issues with it you can always reinstall the old driver either from supplied disk or from the same link above,select "beta and older drivers"
Personally if not having any issues I usually don't bother updating drivers.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ive never had any problems with drivers, and I usually use the beta versions which are not as stable, you should get a good performance boost in most games if you have not done it before

It doesn't even require a reboot anymore either!

Keedar

Expert
Sometimes when i updating i am getting black screen and thats all.Only what you need to do is restart your pc and install drivers from the beginning.