Updating motherboard software

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I know its not the most common driver to update on your system but I feel I need to do it to maybe fix a game issue. I'm just running through the different options I could update and this is one I haven't updated since receiving the system.

I've just searched on the Asus site and narrowed down to the board I'm using and entered in the OS that
I'm running. However it brings back 99 results.

The question is which ones do you choose to update regarding the motherboard?

Plus are there any there that you should definitely leave alone and not touch or update?

thanks

Simon.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yes, I'm guessing that's the only motherboard related software you should consider updating?

What sort of issues are you experiencing? I don't think an update of the BIOS is supposed to fix game related issues but I may be wrong.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Yeah I agree with you on the BIOS point. I thought I would give it a shot and see if it works but like you say it rarely fixes a game problem I would of thought.

Regarding the issues I'm having, I'm currently trying to get 'Metro: Last Light' running however the game keeps crashing the graphics driver.

I'm currently running the 320.14 beta drivers for the game but that driver isn't playing nicely with the game. So I have since rolled back to the most recent whql this morning.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah I agree with you on the BIOS point. I thought I would give it a shot and see if it works but like you say it rarely fixes a game problem I would of thought.

Regarding the issues I'm having, I'm currently trying to get 'Metro: Last Light' running however the game keeps crashing the graphics driver.

I'm currently running the 320.14 beta drivers for the game but that driver isn't playing nicely with the game. So I have since rolled back to the most recent whql this morning.

I know a few people experiencing crashes with the latest beta drivers with Metro Last Light, if you are only experiencing issues with Metro then you may just need to wait for a driver update.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes, I'm guessing that's the only motherboard related software you should consider updating?
You could try updating the chipset driver if one is available.
Be careful if attempting to update the BIOS,have a look at the motherboard manual to see how to do so safely.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I know a few people experiencing crashes with the latest beta drivers with Metro Last Light, if you are only experiencing issues with Metro then you may just need to wait for a driver update.

Thanks for the information.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
You could try updating the chipset driver if one is available.
Be careful if attempting to update the BIOS,have a look at the motherboard manual to see how to do so safely.

On the subject of motherboards as I mentioned in the previous posts, there are a lot of options to pick from.

To name a few you have a choice of 'BIOS' , 'BIOS utilities' , 'firmware' , 'SATA' , 'Chipset (as you mentioned)' , 'USB'.

Are these all installed already or is the motherboard simply installed when your PC is built and left to run in a default mode for all the above so to speak.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
On the subject of motherboards as I mentioned in the previous posts, there are a lot of options to pick from.

To name a few you have a choice of 'BIOS' , 'BIOS utilities' , 'firmware' , 'SATA' , 'Chipset (as you mentioned)' , 'USB'.

Are these all installed already or is the motherboard simply installed when your PC is built and left to run in a default mode for all the above so to speak.
They will already be installed.A driver disk/s are also supplied in case any need to be reinstalled,for example,after a clean install of the operating system.

Last edited:

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Ok thanks for the advice much appreciated. After looking through the asus manual, they actually provide an application which runs in the windows environment and will update the bios for you automatically which is very useful.

Although I think I'll leave it for the time being as its the only game I'm having problems with. As keynes mentions it is most probably a driver issue.