Upgrade advice for Optimus IV

Zarlax

So I'm thinking of just upgrading my 2nd Hard Disk - the SSD (to the 240gb equivalent) and the wireless adapter (to a Killer 1202) (my original spec is at the bottom of the post)

I have two options: Send it off for upgrade, or get the stuff delivered to me and I do it myself

Of course, sending the laptop off for upgrade would take some time and be more costly. I was wondering how simple the upgrade would be if I were to do it myself or anything else it may entail.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It's normally pretty easy to install an SSD/HDD and the network card on a laptop.
Usually just a case of removing small plates on the back of the laptop held by a couple of screws to get access.
The network card has a couple of cables connected which usually just pull off,don't pull the cable though,grip the connection by the pin or spade,use long nose pliers if you find it a bit difficult to get enough of a grip.
I'm assuming the operating system is on the SSD but I notice it's listed as second hard disk?
In any case you will want the operating on the new SSD,in which case best do a clean install of the operating system.

Last edited:

Zarlax

Ooh cool. Sounds pretty simple then!
Yeah I do have my OS on the SSD, and the extra 120gb would really help to fit more games on there! (I'm not sure though if the extra £200 is worth pushing that up to the 480gb version)

Thanks for the help!

Keithg

Enthusiast
Zarlax I have a 160gb ssd and the 750 2nd disk like yours. I run the OS on the first and install all my games on the 2nd and have alot of space on the ssd.
I have a couple of MMO's on the SSD as their constant loading may make more use of the speed but to be honest I don't find myself limited by the HDD, in fact the upgrade i would get would be a bigger 2nd disk.

As for your options, do it yourself the skills you will learn from it will help with alot of future maintenance tasks and pc purchases. Also the optimus is really easy to upgrade just a couple of screws with the primary disk under the trackpad and the 2nd disk under the number pad. I havent changed the network card on this but it is usually just unplug the cable and unscrew.