Upgrading Graphics Cards - Platinum Warranty

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Hey guys, I've had my current rig since November 2011 and my palit 580 is getting a bit loud and hot in my opinion. I'm thinking of upgrading to a 760 twin frozr and installing it myself.. What will this do to my warranty?

Any help would be great :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
your warranty will be fine mate :) unless you install it with a hammer or something. haha

if you can squeeze a 770 in there, I'm sure it will serve you as well as the 580 did.

you could also sell your 580 on ebay and get a few quid back.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Yeah the thing is the 580 doesn't come with a box or anything.. How much do you think I could get back for it on Ebay? :) it's a 3gb :D

What does the warranty apply to tho? The old gpu or the new one :D I dunno how that works as PCS obviously doesn't stock 580s anymore

Mostorn

RMA ur current GPU if its still under warranty with PCS it might have a fault Nd be repaired or replaced! PCS might even send a donor card while its being sorted

Mostorn

steaky360

If you purchase your new graphics card from PCS (through the upgrade my PC section) I believe your original warranty 'transfers' to the new component. However I'm not 100% sure about that, so best to ask them if you do decide to purchase it. Obviously if you buy the card elsewhere PCS will NOT cover it.

The old card is yours to keep, mount on the wall or whatever you wanted to do. You can sell it as a oem card (and as such anyone who knows what oem is will understand its not coming with a box, or any instructions/packaging). Although I would consider trying to find an anti-static bag to ship it in if you did decide to sell it. As for the price, just check the good old electronic bay and it should give you a good idea what you can get for it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yeah the thing is the 580 doesn't come with a box or anything.. How much do you think I could get back for it on Ebay? :) it's a 3gb :D

What does the warranty apply to tho? The old gpu or the new one :D I dunno how that works as PCS obviously doesn't stock 580s anymore

Your existing warranty should transfer to the new gpu as Steaky mentioned but I think you are not buying it from PCS since you want a specific gpu. For a reference GTX 580 without and probably not much warranty left you are looking at less than £100.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Might sound obvious, but have you given the 580 a squirt with a can of compressed air. A bit of dust might be impeding the flow of air, worth a shot first if you are not to unhappy with it's raw performance.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
Yeah I'm getting a new desk on friday so I might be able to crack the side open and give the whole rig a breeze from the inflator thing I use :D

I don't know what brand cards PCS use atm :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Yeah I'm getting a new desk on friday so I might be able to crack the side open and give the whole rig a breeze from the inflator thing I use :D

Do you mean a compressor? If so then be very careful with what PSI you blow into the components, and use short bursts as you don't want any moisture getting in there.

I don't know what brand cards PCS use atm :)

If you're getting a GTX card it will more than likely be Palit.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah if you are using a compressor don't (what I was about to type here would probably get me banned) get too trigger happy or you could end up with a very bad day. Just use a can of compressed air you can get online or on the highstreet, even Tesco has em.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
The thing is with Palit cards, is that I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the competition.. I think I would still see an upgrade if I swapped my 580 for a 760, but the MSI Twin Frozr OC would be my choice..

My current 580 reaches in the high 80's, sometimes in the 90s on games like Farcry 3 on absolute ultra settings. The noise is also very loud.. I don't know if the newer Palit cards are any different but I would rather go with a MSI or EVGA card :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The thing is with Palit cards, is that I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the competition.. I think I would still see an upgrade if I swapped my 580 for a 760, but the MSI Twin Frozr OC would be my choice..

My current 580 reaches in the high 80's, sometimes in the 90s on games like Farcry 3 on absolute ultra settings. The noise is also very loud.. I don't know if the newer Palit cards are any different but I would rather go with a MSI or EVGA card :)

Why do you think there are not as good as others? I disagree, all reference cards should similar performance and it is a bit unfair to compare stock vs overclocked GPUs. The 600 series seems to be quieter and cooler than the 500 series from nvidia.

steaky360

PCS are still stocking Palit cards to my knowledge, and Keynes was right but I'd go even further to say that "vanilla" reference cards will be identical barring perhaps the box and accessories. Overclocked cards and non-reference cards are fair game for comparison but the vanilla cards should not be any different from the different manufacturers.

That said however, I'd prefer non-palit cards if buying outwith PCS because of warranty concerns however if you have the platinum warranty from PCS you should be fine :)

bigben

Master Poster
I got a couple of asus overclocked gtx670s at a price I couldn't refuse (it was cheaper than buying a second palit one) and on their own they are a lot quieter than the reference GTX670 I had. I'm not convinced there was much of a boost in performance from the overclock though.
From what I have heard though the 700 series are very quiet anyway.

steaky360

From what I have heard though the 700 series are very quiet anyway.

Aye the reviews seem to suggest nvidia have come a long way with cooling performance over the years and the stock coolers supplied with reference cards are top notch. I must admit I really like the look of the 700 series (Titan style :)) Can't wait to see what they do in the future, they've set the bar high with performance and aesthetics now so I hope they don't drop the ball with the 800 series and beyond.