Upgrading RAM

Phube

Sorry just a quick n00b question.

I currently have: 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB).

Now if I want to double this to 8GB, do I have to buy the same again i.e. Samsung 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333MHz, or can I use any 2 x 2GB of RAM at any speed?

I know the pairs have to match, but really not sure about with the other pair?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

steaky360

I would always go for the same ram to prevent any issues occurring, but I do think you can get different brands of ram for the other pair, not sure about the speed though.

To be honest, I'd go for the same ram if at all possible though.

Yamikotai

Expert
Brand doesn't matter. Speed (and latency which is another factor) also technically doesn't matter, since the board will adjust the speed and latency of all modules to that of the slowest module, automatically.

i.e. You can put faster RAM in, 1600MHz for example, but the motherboard will stick it at 1333MHz to match the slower modules.

So, just get some 1333MHz modules.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can mix RAM brands as long as it's the same speed and DDR,when you start mixing speeds though, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link so to speak and your motherboard might automatically underclock the faster ones if they have the same cas latency,but you could still have problems.Best check with your motherboard user guide to see what RAM configurations are possible,and as steaky said best get identical ram to what's already installed to avoid issues.
Edit: sorry,missed your post Yamikotai.

Last edited:

kruppsy

Master
What about voltage? I'd definitely suggest matching that. You could technically have a difference of .5v stock volts over the different modules and since you can only set one voltage up(?) some will be pushed a lot harder or less than they should, I can't imagine it'd run too stable with that difference? Again I'm guessing a bit here...

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
What about voltage? I'd definitely suggest matching that. You could technically have a difference of .5v stock volts over the different modules and since you can only set one voltage up(?) some will be pushed a lot harder or less than they should, I can't imagine it'd run too stable with that difference? Again I'm guessing a bit here...
That's a good question, actually. I don't know the answer. I do agree that matching them is a very very good idea. It's not hard since pretty much all DDR3 is 1.5V stock now, but I've seen modules ranging from 1.7V stock down to 1.2V stock.
I'll have a wander around and see what I can find out.

Last edited: