URGENT!!! Vortex III (3) new SSD not being detected!!

swiftstep

I have just received a Vortex 3 15 inch laptop. I thought I would put my Sandisk 120GB SSD from my old laptop into this one and it isn't being detected!!! I don;t understand why my 6 year old laptop detects it FINE and this new laptop does not. I have tried the latest 1.02 bios too but on the bios it keeps saying there is nothing in SATA 1.

I know the sata port is fine because it works fine with the hard drive that came with the laptop.

PLEASE i need some suggestions. I have tried running it in IDE mode, RAID, and the other one beginning with 'A'.

I don't know what to do now and I am getting pretty 'upset'...

HELP! :(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If the ssd isn't showing in bios then this probably wont apply,but have a look anyway.
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there,
click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

swiftstep

If the ssd isn't showing in bios then this probably wont apply,but have a look anyway.
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there,
click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,If no letter is assigned for the drive,
right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu to select a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

Sorry I forgot to mention I have no operating system. I can only have one hard drive in my vortex 3 so it won't get detected in this laptop. I ran windows setup from a boot cd on my other laptop and it picked up the SSD fine and even formatted it, etc. But it just won't get detected with the vortex 3! :(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ah,that's different,if it's enabled in bios and set to AHCI it should be detected,failing that I'm not sure what the problem could be unless the ssd isn't seated correctly,maybe best to give tech support a call.

swiftstep

Ah,that's different,if it's enabled in bios and set to AHCI it should be detected,failing that I'm not sure what the problem could be unless the ssd isn't seated correctly,maybe best to give tech support a call.

I have reseated it many times and it just doesn't want to work. I will give them a call tomorrow. Could it just be an incompatibility issue? What time are Tech support open so i can ring them first thing?

This is SOOO frustrating. I figure there's no point installing windows on my slow 5400rpm drive...i just want this sorted with the SSD! :(

swiftstep

OMG YOUR FRICKING KIDDING ME!!!!

I FIXED IT!

You will not believe what it was... basically the SSD is a lot slimmer than the mechanical hard drive so when I was pushing it in, even thought I could FEEL it slot in, it was going BELOW the connectors on the laptop. What I tried was holding the SSD higher and pushing it in. I could see it was held in place a little higher than before and it gave me HOPE!

Thankfully when I went into bios THERE IT WAS!! :O What a SILLY SILLY thing but I am SO glad you mentioned to check its seated properly, otherwise I probably never would have thought about it, well..maybe..but probably after 10 hours of pulling my hair out!