USB 2.0 issues with Ryzen 5000 and 500 chipsets....

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
When my new PC arrived I had bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (to keep @AgentCooper happy). I plugged the little receiver thingy into a USB 2.0 port but only the mouse connected. The keyboard wouldn’t respond. I assumed it was the cheapy wireless gizmos, but when I used a USB 3.0 port instead everything worked fine. I didn’t give it much though after that.

I now see that this is a known issue with Ryzen 5000 CPU and 500 series motherboards. AMD say they are investigating and gathering user reports and data.

Example Report

Anyone else here having problems?

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Interesting, not seen that. Good choice of keyboard. I like Logitech stuff, although main reason for getting mine was because first wireless one I found with a German QWERTZ, version.

Good thing with odd AMD problems is they seem to get fixed quickly, there are a few instances on the Phoronix site, that is all Linux based but quite interesting.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It’s a ‘Quiet Touch’ keyboard or something like that and it’s amazing - actually a bit un-nerving when you use it - like being in a whisper quiet room and being fully exposed to the noise and conversation of the demons inside your head.......ahem......I digress...... 😊

Yes they do seem to be fairly quick with fixes. Reddit is apparently full of vitriol and users returning boards and chips for refunds. I guess they’re not like me - I have exactly 2 USB ports in use - so it’s not an issue!

I expect it’ll be a BIOS update fix. Probably important to say to everyone here that you should not install that without checking with PCS first??

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
SORRY! I tell a lie!! Just checked....

My keyboard and mouse is back in my USB 2.0 port - working fine - first install issues seem to have resolved themselves....

But it is my Webcam that won't work in a USB 2.0 port. When installed it continuously cycles through on and off maybe once a second. It's little icon on the Devices screen flickers as this happens. But when it's in a USB 3.0 port it works without a hitch.

I have the 5600X and B550 FWIW.....

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
SORRY! I tell a lie!! Just checked....

My keyboard and mouse is back in my USB 2.0 port - working fine - first install issues seem to have resolved themselves....

But it is my Webcam that won't work in a USB 2.0 port. When installed it continuously cycles through on and off maybe once a second. It's little icon on the Devices screen flickers as this happens. But when it's in a USB 3.0 port it works without a hitch.

I have the 5600X and B550 FWIW.....
What board do you have? Didn’t realise any boards still had usb 2 ports on them!

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
What board do you have? Didn’t realise any boards still had usb 2 ports on them!
I have a PRIME B550 PLUS which has a couple on the back. Articles mention 570 boards with issues so I assume they have them too? I have seen reports of it affecting the internal USB 2.0 headers so perhaps boards without external ports could still have problems with RGB controllers or whatever?

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
GN are on the case now too....

Gamers Nexus

Discussed at 1:57 on this video. Seems it might not just be USB 2.0 alone - another video shows a guy having USB 3.0 and 3.1 issues too.... 😱

(I've submitted a Tech Request to AMD to offer them any info or logs they might find useful to help them troubleshoot. I'll let you know if they reply....)

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Reply from AMD just for info. Again, my understanding is you SHOULD NOT update your BIOS without asking PCS first....

——————

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing USB connectivity issues with your AMD 500 Series chipset motherboard.

Our engineering team is activity investigating this issue with high priority and we will provide an update once a fix is available.

Based on user feedback we have received; the suggestions below could improve or resolve general USB device stuttering issues.

1.Verify that your motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS version and configured using optimized/factory default settings.

• Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for BIOS update and download instructions.

2.Check if your Windows 10 is on the latest build and fully up to date.

• For information on updating Windows 10, please refer to Microsoft article: Update Windows 10

3.Ensure that the Ryzen chipset driver from AMD is installed and up to date.

• Latest Ryzen chipset driver version is 2.13.27.501 and can be download here.

If you continue to experience USB connectivity problems after following the suggestions above, you may consider using either of the following workaround:

1.Set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS

2.Disable Global C-State in the BIOS.

These settings are found in the BIOS. Please refer to the motherboard user manual if more information is needed.

If you would like to assist our engineers with the investigation, please submit a report using the AMD Bug Report Tool. Download and information about the tool are available in the provided link.

When filing your bug report on this USB connectivity issue, please make sure to select the following options and provide detailed reproduction steps.

1.For Affected AMD Applications, choose Platform / Chipset Driver

2.For Symptoms, choose Poor Performance or Stuttering

We appreciate your help and patience while we work to resolve your issue.

Thanks for contacting AMD.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just checked my BIOS - PC came with version 1802 installed - version 1804 is the latest, released a couple of weeks ago. I have asked PCS for permission to update my BIOS in order to try to resolve the issue. Will update here later......

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Warranty Terms from PCS Website in case anyone else wondered like I did!!

BIOS.jpg

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just an update to this.

I asked PCS for permission to update my BIOS via the Tech Support feature two weeks ago but have not had a reply sadly. I have emailed them via their main enquiries email address so hopefully that will see a response.

In the meantime, I have tried all workarounds suggested by AMD - including disabling Global C-State - and Reverting to PCIe Gen 3 from Gen 4 in BIOS - but neither made any difference and I still can't plug my USB 2.0 device into a USB 2.0 port. Still works fine when in a USB 3.0 port.

Is anyone else having any issues with USB or am I the only one so far? My first thought was that the problem lay with my crappy cheap USB 2.0 device - so I wonder how many have had a problem but assumed it was the device itself and not the PC port? :unsure:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Update 2:

PCS gave me permission to update my BIOS with strict instructions to be followed in doing so in order to maintain my warranty.

Update went without a hitch and didn't take long. Sadly my USB issues are still evident.

In addition all my BIOS settings were reset to default - so it also took quite a while to reset everything back to how it was upon receipt of my machine from PCS. Luckily I had expected this and so I took note of all changes from the defaults beforehand. If you are comfortable mooching around BIOS then I actually think taking a note of these things is worthwhile regardless in case you ever have any issues which needs stuff reset or reconfigured. An easy way to do this is:

1) Enter BIOS and hit F5 from the main screen (for my BIOS version at least) to change everything back to default - then hit F10 to save and exit - BUT DON'T ACCEPT THE CONFIRMATION WINDOW THAT OPENS AFTER THAT! :eek:

2) This window that opens shows a list of all the changes that will be applied if you accept them - these then are all the items that were not already at default settings. Take note of everything in that list, then cancel the save and exit and return to the BIOS main screen.

3) Hit F7 to go to advanced mode, go to EXIT, then Discard Changes and Exit to discard the changes to default settings, and then boot up as normal.

My list looks like this:

IMG_5499.jpg

AIO PUMP Control is my own addition - and there is a small overflow of additional items which you can scroll down to see.

Once I have it all noted then I hit Cancel on that window - into F7 for Advanced Mode - over to EXIT - and the Discard Changes and Exit:

IMG_5500.jpg

My only real regret is I have lost my lovely PCS startup screen and instead have this slightly annoyingly corny ASUS one instead.....

IMG_5501.jpg

In search of incredible? Look no further!!! Found after a brief search - my dream car.... :love: :love: :love:

1615557009147.png

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Update 2:

PCS gave me permission to update my BIOS with strict instructions to be followed in doing so in order to maintain my warranty.

Update went without a hitch and didn't take long. Sadly my USB issues are still evident.

In addition all my BIOS settings were reset to default - so it also took quite a while to reset everything back to how it was upon receipt of my machine from PCS. Luckily I had expected this and so I took note of all changes from the defaults beforehand. If you are comfortable mooching around BIOS then I actually think taking a note of these things is worthwhile regardless in case you ever have any issues which needs stuff reset or reconfigured. An easy way to do this is:

1) Enter BIOS and hit F5 from the main screen (for my BIOS version at least) to change everything back to default - then hit F10 to save and exit - BUT DON'T ACCEPT THE CONFIRMATION WINDOW THAT OPENS AFTER THAT! :eek:

2) This window that opens shows a list of all the changes that will be applied if you accept them - these then are all the items that were not already at default settings. Take note of everything in that list, then cancel the save and exit and return to the BIOS main screen.

3) Hit F7 to go to advanced mode, go to EXIT, then Discard Changes and Exit to discard the changes to default settings, and then boot up as normal.

My list looks like this:

View attachment 23496

AIO PUMP Control is my own addition - and there is a small overflow of additional items which you can scroll down to see.

Once I have it all noted then I hit Cancel on that window - into F7 for Advanced Mode - over to EXIT - and the Discard Changes and Exit:

View attachment 23497

My only real regret is I have lost my lovely PCS startup screen and instead have this slightly annoyingly corny ASUS one instead.....

View attachment 23498

In search of incredible? Look no further!!! Found after a brief search - my dream car.... :love: :love: :love:

View attachment 23500
I drove a Noddy car many years ago, Fiat did a limited edition Noddy car version of the original Fiat 500

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Is this relevant :unsure:

Yep. I have been in touch with AMD and following their recommended fixes - just to give them some additional troubleshooting results.

I have told PCS that a new BIOS is likely on the way and will liaise with them again when it comes out......