USB doesn't appear as a boot option in BIOS

ReggieP

I'm finally getting around to updating an old PC of mine to Windows 10. I have the OS on a USB drive but the only options that appear in the BIOS boot section are hard drive, CD or floppy. How do I get the machine to boot from the USB? I have searched online but haven't been able to find any solution to this exact issue.

1612868200162.png

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Older BIOSes may not support USB booting. They won't support UEFI booting either so your USB drive needs to be MBR.

Last edited:

ReggieP

Would updating the motherboard help? Or am I stuck with a useless OS and will have to send it back and get the CD version?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would think the option should be there for that MB.

Are there definitely no options to change the boot order or etc in the BIOS? There are often times where you need to enable USB booting, or even USB Legacy mode, in order to access it.

If you can take a couple of pictures of the options within the BIOS it would be helpful :)

ReggieP

Presuming you can download stuff and have something to burn to DVD then you should be able to get a DVD image for yourself from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I did this, then found out the file is 4.77gb and I only have 4.7gb DVDs... :(

I would think the option should be there for that MB.

Are there definitely no options to change the boot order or etc in the BIOS? There are often times where you need to enable USB booting, or even USB Legacy mode, in order to access it.

If you can take a couple of pictures of the options within the BIOS it would be helpful :)

I looked up how to enable USB booting online, but they all made reference to options I just don't seem to have. I will get some screen shots soon.

Thanks for all your help so far, anyway, guys :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The settings you have would suggest to me that you should be able to see an appropriately configured USB stick. Do you have the ability to check it on another system to ensure that it does indeed work as it should?

Another thing to consider is the USB port you have it in. You will want to opt for the oldest USB port. These tend to be black in colour.

ReggieP

I can see the stick and explore it on my new PC and on the PC I'm trying to update, but it won't run the setup on the old one as it's 32bit XP, so I need a clean install. I have a newly formatted hard drive which I swapped over to the old PC to install Windows 10, but the issue is that it won't boot from the USB. Sorry if that's going over old ground, just wanted to clarify things for all.

Stephen M

Author Level
How did you put the Windows 10 iso on the USB. Rufus is the best way with Windows but there are other methods and they can be problematic.

Perhaps making a new USB from your Windows account may do it.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
As @Scott says, are you plugging it into a USB 2.0 slot (white markings), also make sure you are using one of the USB ports in the back of the machine (on the I/O board).

ReggieP

I've tried all the USB ports, front and back. The issue is not with the USB stick itself, but with my old PC that doesn't have a 'boot from USB' option (see screenshots above). I expect I'll just have to get some double layer DVDs and download the ISO file onto that, then boot the old PC from the CD drive.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I still don't think that's your issue. The motherboard you have listed has the option to boot from USB. The Legacy USB option shows this also.

Like I said, I don't think the stick is configured properly for a conventional MBR/EFI boot. It's likely for UEFI, which your motherboard isn't compatible with.

There is also a large difference between being able to view the files and being able to boot from the USB. You need to be confident that the USB itself is configured properly with a boot partition and the appropriate inf file system. The easiest way to do this, as suggested above, is to download the media creation tool from M$ and start from scratch.