USB ports Disconnecting and not responding

Hooson

I have had this problem for about a month now and its driving me mad. Basically At random and recurring times all usb ports will disconnect and stop responding as in my keyboard and mouse. Its weird because its often when I start games or are in them but can happen at any time, it also happens a lot as soon as i log in or when I am just browsing. Every time it happens i have to restart my PC because they won't ever start responding again. A funny thing is Its only started happening about half a year into using my PC.

Some fix's i have tried to resolve this are

-Disabling USB selective suspend settings, with nothing to avail.
-Disabling USB 3.0 support in Bios
-Reinstalling My pc a million times, which i think has screwed my pc over as now its always missing a ton of drivers which cannot be found by repairing driver or updating as it says files are missing which i have to spend ages putting codes from the hardware id tab into the internet.
-Updating EVERYTHING

My specs are:

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4820K (3.7GHz) 10MB Cache
ASUS® P9X79 LE: INTEL® SOCKET LG2011
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (1 x 8GB)
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX OEM
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Sometimes after restarting my pc it will say CPU overheating error but the CPU will be running at 70C which is fairly high but about normal i think for that cpu when its under pressure and also it will sometimes but not always say this after restarting my pc when i have just booted it and its cool, so not sure whats up here.The reason I have put all my specs are is that I have always had one problem after another with this PC and haven't had it running perfect for longer than a month and wonder if any of you guys know if something needs upgrading?

I just hope someone can help me get this fixed as my computer is basically my life. Please help!

Last edited:

Fear

Prolific Poster
Something you can try next time they stop working is unplugging your USB cables and then plugging them back in again, I have a R.A.T 9 and that sometimes stops working and I was doing restarts to begin with then I just tried disconnecting the USB and plugged it back and problem fixed.

One more thing make sure your mouse/kb are plugged into the top USB ports on the back of your MB.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Moderators: This should be moved to the Technical Support section, more people will see it there.

I have had this problem for about a month now and its driving me mad. Basically At random and recurring times all usb ports will disconnect and stop responding as in my keyboard and mouse. Its weird because its often when I start games or are in them but can happen at any time, it also happens a lot as soon as i log in or when I am just browsing. Every time it happens i have to restart my PC because they won't ever start responding again. A funny thing is Its only started happening about half a year into using my PC.

Whenever anyone says that "I have had this problem for about a month now"the very first question you should be asking is what happened a month ago? If it was working and now it's not them something has changed. What changed? Did you install new software, new hardware, update drivers, change configuration options, etc.? If you can remember what you changed just before this started happening you'll be halfway to a solution.

Some fix's i have tried to resolve this are

-Disabling USB selective suspend settings, with nothing to avail.
-Disabling USB 3.0 support in Bios
-Reinstalling My pc a million times, which i think has screwed my pc over as now its always missing a ton of drivers which cannot be found by repairing driver or updating as it says files are missing which i have to spend ages putting codes from the hardware id tab into the internet.
-Updating EVERYTHING

The phrase "...its always missing a ton of drivers which cannot be found by repairing driver or updating..." rings alarm bells. After you have done a reinstall of Windows you must install all the drivers. These should have been supplied to you on one or more DVDs. If not then if you logon to your account on the main PCS website (where you order) on the left hand side under the Tech Support menu is a Downloads menu item. Under there you'll find all the drivers for your build, download them to a USB stick so you can install them after your next Windows reinstall. Always install the chipset driver first, the order of the others doesn't usually matter. Then you should run Windows Update until no more updates are found.

It seems from what you are saying that you have not been installing drivers properly. My bet is that you don't have a chipset driver installed at all (Windows Update is often not able to find customised chipset drivers so you have to install those manually).

The ONLY place you should get your drivers from is either PCS or the hardware manufacturer's website.

Sometimes after restarting my pc it will say CPU overheating error but the CPU will be running at 70C which is fairly high but about normal i think for that cpu when its under pressure and also it will sometimes but not always say this after restarting my pc when i have just booted it and its cool, so not sure whats up here.The reason I have put all my specs are is that I have always had one problem after another with this PC and haven't had it running perfect for longer than a month and wonder if any of you guys know if something needs upgrading?

That could also be because you don't have a chipset driver installed.

My advice is to do a completely clean re installation of Windows and then install all the PCS supplied drivers.

Last edited:

Hooson

Moderators: This should be moved to the Technical Support section, more people will see it there.

Whenever anyone says that "I have had this problem for about a month now"the very first question you should be asking is what happened a month ago? If it was working and now it's not them something has changed. What changed? Did you install new software, new hardware, update drivers, change configuration options, etc.? If you can remember what you changed just before this started happening you'll be halfway to a solution.

The phrase "...its always missing a ton of drivers which cannot be found by repairing driver or updating..." rings alarm bells. After you have done a reinstall of Windows you must install all the drivers. These should have been supplied to you on one or more DVDs. If not then if you logon to your account on the main PCS website (where you order) on the left hand side under the Tech Support menu is a Downloads menu item. Under there you'll find all the drivers for your build, download them to a USB stick so you can install them after your next Windows reinstall. Always install the chipset driver first, the order of the others doesn't usually matter. Then you should run Windows Update until no more updates are found.

It seems from what you are saying that you have not been installing drivers properly. My bet is that you don't have a chipset driver installed at all (Windows Update is often not able to find customised chipset drivers so you have to install those manually).

The ONLY place you should get your drivers from is either PCS or the hardware manufacturer's website.

That could also be because you don't have a chipset driver installed.

My advice is to do a completely clean re installation of Windows and then install all the PCS supplied drivers.

Thanks for the advice, I'm really trying to avoid a another full restore but its either that or send my pc away. I checked the download tab for my order, and there is no drivers there for windows 10 which I recently upgraded to try and resolve my problem. But they are all there for windows 7, can I use these (which I doubt) and the driver disk I got supplied with does miss out the chipset driver and many more including half of the usb ones -_-. And like you said I did infact install the chipset driver last! is my only option to another full restore? or is there a work around or any other methods to try get these things from disconnecting.

Hooson

Another thing I have noticed it mostly happens whilst I am in game or using browsers. it has never happened whilst been idle or watching videos or films?

Hooson

Ok so I have restored back to windows 7 and installed drivers in the right order. Going to download csgo and see if anything freezes as it mostly happened whilst I was in a game and not as much on the desktop but still happened a lot.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok so I have restored back to windows 7 and installed drivers in the right order. Going to download csgo and see if anything freezes as it mostly happened whilst I was in a game and not as much on the desktop but still happened a lot.

Try to install the minimum third-party software for now, you want to keep the software environment as clean as you can. If it fails then you'd best call PCS.

Hooson

Try to install the minimum third-party software for now, you want to keep the software environment as clean as you can. If it fails then you'd best call PCS.

Whys that? and even before downloading third party content it was playing up, I guess its hardware :( and my warranty has just ran out, perfect...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Whys that? and even before downloading third party content it was playing up, I guess its hardware :( and my warranty has just ran out, perfect...

In order to tell whether it's a hardware or software issue you want to install as pristine a software environment as you can, if it fails then it's probably hardware. The more software you install the less pristine the software environment becomes and the harder it is to be sure whether the problem is hardware or software.

At the moment you have a pretty pristine Windows 7 environment, so if it's "playing up" at that point it's very likely a hardware issue. In that case I would call PCS and tell them it fails even with a completely clean WIndows 7 install and all drivers.

Hooson

In order to tell whether it's a hardware or software issue you want to install as pristine a software environment as you can, if it fails then it's probably hardware. The more software you install the less pristine the software environment becomes and the harder it is to be sure whether the problem is hardware or software.

At the moment you have a pretty pristine Windows 7 environment, so if it's "playing up" at that point it's very likely a hardware issue. In that case I would call PCS and tell them it fails even with a completely clean WIndows 7 install and all drivers.

Cool thanks, 1 more thing is there anything I can do inside event viewer? to look for logs where the fault or error is?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Cool thanks, 1 more thing is there anything I can do inside event viewer? to look for logs where the fault or error is?

Open the Windows event viewer and wait whilst it loads all the logs. Look at the top of the three display areas, the one labelled "Summary of Administrative Events". I generally click the arrows on the right of the other two areas to shrink them out of the way.

If there are any Critical events reported click the plus sign to expand them. The event id and source columns will mean little probably, but look to the number of error counts on the right, focus on those in the last hour. If you double-click on any of these errors you'll get a more detailed display which will tell you exactly what failed.

If there are no Critical events then do the above procedure for Error events. It's worth looking at Error events even if there are Critical events listed too.

What you're looking for is something unusual or happening often. You almost certainly will get some Error events reported in a normal working system, though there should not be any Critical events. You have to try and sort out the unexpected events from the run-of-the-mill ones.

Hooson

Open the Windows event viewer and wait whilst it loads all the logs. Look at the top of the three display areas, the one labelled "Summary of Administrative Events". I generally click the arrows on the right of the other two areas to shrink them out of the way.

If there are any Critical events reported click the plus sign to expand them. The event id and source columns will mean little probably, but look to the number of error counts on the right, focus on those in the last hour. If you double-click on any of these errors you'll get a more detailed display which will tell you exactly what failed.

If there are no Critical events then do the above procedure for Error events. It's worth looking at Error events even if there are Critical events listed too.

What you're looking for is something unusual or happening often. You almost certainly will get some Error events reported in a normal working system, though there should not be any Critical events. You have to try and sort out the unexpected events from the run-of-the-mill ones.

Nothing dodgy in there, guess its hardware failure. My last chance i think is taking apart the motherboard and reassembling it to see if there's any wires playing up or loose. This is so frustrating :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Nothing dodgy in there, guess its hardware failure. My last chance i think is taking apart the motherboard and reassembling it to see if there's any wires playing up or loose. This is so frustrating :(

It's worth checking. Give PCS a call on Monday, they might well know of other troubleshooting you can do. It might be worth reading your motherboard manual again just in case there is a jumper setting amiss somewhere?

Hooson

It's worth checking. Give PCS a call on Monday, they might well know of other troubleshooting you can do. It might be worth reading your motherboard manual again just in case there is a jumper setting amiss somewhere?

Nice one. Thanks for all your help bud.