Using 2 x monitors how to?

waynedance

Gold Level Poster
Ok I would like to use 2 monitors at work to help have more items visible.

The works desktop PC is approx 18 months old and a basic pc world Advent £250 job, What would I need to get working with 2 x screens? new graphics card I guess?

steaky360

Potentially yes, unless it already has the capability to use two monitors. I know we use some kind of splitter in the office to split 'something' to two VGA cables (I think its kinda like a long DVI), I'm currently offshore so cant check to be 100% certain though :(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If your graphics card has two video ports,VGA and DVI for example it should be capable of running two monitors in extended mode.If it only has one port I don't think it's possible,far as I know a splitter would only duplicate the screens,I could be wrong though.

steaky360

Just found one of the dual screened PC's on the vessel, the connection into the PC is not a DVI nor VGA, I don't actually know what it is, but there is a splitter which splits to two VGA cables which display separate screens. Still, its not really what you're looking for I don't think wayne.

Edit:

The cable I am talking about is a DMS-59 connection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59

Last edited: