Using old harddrives

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
Decided to fit my 2 500gb old hard drives so i can start transfering some data onto the new 2tb drive i have so i can format and re-use them after.

I knew it wouldnt work instantly, but i installed them, fitted properly, theyr detected, show up in bios, and are detected when i load up windows, i cannot enter the drives however it cannot read them.

So how can i access them?

The old drives used to be set up in RAID 0, and have windows vista 32bit installed on them. the new hardrive has windows 7 64bit installed on it.

is there an easy way to have them accesible to transfer media and such from one to the other without using an external drive and 2 computers?

thanks in advance

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
im certain this motherboard does support raid, it was an option when purchasing it to have a raid setup, but was unnescary as its a standalone drive. im not sure what setup i would need to configure to have a 2tb and 2x 500gb though?

i can veiw the drive as d: in windows but is not readable just formatable at this stage.

also i dont have use of my old computer now, parts of it are in this new one.

Gishank

Bright Spark
Last I checked all modern motherboard's can handle RAID. You will need to re-set up the RAID 0 on the two 500GB drives to be able to access the data unfortuently, no other way around it.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
Last I checked all modern motherboard's can handle RAID. You will need to re-set up the RAID 0 on the two 500GB drives to be able to access the data unfortuently, no other way around it.

could you go into more detail with that? im not sure how i would do it since i need to keep the 2tb drive as the main drive (using that OS) and somehow have the two 500gb drives accesible within that OS. is that possible?

Sleinous

Author Level
See im not sure you can actually :/ If they were set up in RAID on another comp, theyll want to be the boot drives on this comp, they wont just appear as removable disks I dont think :( Would be easier if you shoved em back in your old comp, and ethernet transfered it all across, its surprisingly fast tbh.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
ok.. how about this.

would it be possible to disconnect the 2tb drive, and boot this new comp up with the old drives, and remove their raid setup, so they will work in conjunction with the 2tb ?

as i said, dont have a 2nd computer to use.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
I tried it, and did not work. i do not know how to specify raid0 with this motherboard.. i disconnected the 2tb and booted with the 2x 500gb and set to raid, however they wasnt working together and still displayed as seperate, thus resulting in 'no os' message.

im way out of my depth with this xD