Very hot AC cable! HELP!

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
Hello!
I haven't had any problems with my Optimus II 17.3" for over a year now, however recently I have noticed that the AC cable gets extremely hot and I can smell it burning slightly when I take it out of the laptop.
The problem is with the end of the cable going in the laptop itself. The metal conductor (Sorry, don't know the correct terms) gets extremely hot that you cant even touch it.
When the laptop is on idle, the cable is fine. It only happens when I am playing SOME games. Doesn't happen on all games. For example, the cable gets extremely hot when playing Shift 2, but doesn't get hot when playing Just Cause 2. Another thing I've noticed is that if I have the laptop on my knees, the cable doesn't get hot (Only warm) and it doesn't matter what game I play.

If I play a game for 2 hours or so and then stop, the cable probably melts the plastic and I cannot take it out until I shut down the laptop and let it cool down! The adaptor block only gets warm and never gets hot as its warned on the sticker. CPU and GPU temperatures are fine.
What should I do?

Specs:
Optimus II: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM
4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
UK Power Lead & 120W Adaptor

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I strongly advise you stop using it & try a replacement unit,but it's possible the fault is on the laptop connection.

Last edited:

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
Can it be a cooling problem? I placed the laptop on a hard book so that theres lots of room below the left corner where the cable goes in, and it doesn't become hot anymore?

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
Well what they would say is to send it in and they will check it out, and because I have the 3 year silver warranty and it's over a year since I bought the laptop, I'm only covered for the labour costs and not the parts or the shipping. Just wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with it and maybe it's only the AC cable itself. If nobody does then I guess I have no other option but to call.

harfle

I would think its a cable problem only, usually that wont happen because they are built very simplistically, however the wiring is intended on making it completely insulated so you shouldnt feel any heat at all unless the connection has somehow failed and its turning the energy into heat..

really the only good option would be to buy a new one if you are unable to get it for free via PCS, it probably wouldnt be incredibly expensive.

hargil

Silver Level Poster
If it's getting hot then power is being dissipated therefore there is some resistance present to act as a load.

So there is either high contact resistance between the plug and the socket or the cable is fractured. Are you up for fitting a new plug?

Alternatively, the laptop has developed a fault and is drawing more power (current) through the cable than it is rated at and thus getting hot.

I suspect the PSU is rated in excess of what is normally needed so will only begetting warmer by a few degrees which you may not notice, you possible had not noticed its normal temperature under normal conditions as there was no need to.

Is the whole cable between the laptop and the PSU (the brick) hot or is it just localised for a few inches at the connector?

Is the laptop in that corner getting hot too?

As previously stated a new PSU is not very expensive.

I would definitely call PCS and ask for advice.

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
I'm living in the same house and no electricity components have been changed over the past year and it was fine when I bought it.
Only the metal connector gets very hot and actually melted the plastic which is inside the connector a bit once.
The corner of the laptop where the cable plugs in does get hot when playing games.

What I've decided to do is buy another 120w PSU and test it tomorrow, and if it still gets hot I'm calling PCS.

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
So I bought another 120w PSU (not from PCS) to test. The metal end of it that goes into the laptop got warm and I took it out as I didn't want to damage the laptop more. I called PCS and told them that I've tried a different cable and stuff, the guy on the phone said 'OK we will send you another ___ (Forgot exactly what he said) but you will have to fit it yourself since the laptops out of warranty' I said OK and waited for the part to arrive. So the box arrives today and inside the box, another 120w power supply. I'm confused because I thought that they will send me a new DC jack to replace inside the laptop or something because he said you will have to fit it yourself AND I told him I've tried a different power supply?

The old power supply metal bit that goes into the laptop does seem burned out inside. The power supply that I got and the one that PCS sent me get warm when plugged into the laptop and I was wondering how warm are they supposed to get because I didn't notice if it gets warm at all during the 1 year usage?