Virgin Media gamer broadband package

FusRoDah

Gold Level Poster

£47.25 a month, hands down the best upgrade in the last 2 years - 12 to 20 and the upload cap removed (for twitching) has been great

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I went ahead and upgraded to Vivid 200 Gamer. I was offered it for £2 extra so I gave it a go. I am getting consistent speed during the day but no noticeable difference to what I had before. I assume the point to changing to the gamer package is to avoid traffic management.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I went ahead and upgraded to Vivid 200 Gamer. I was offered it for £2 extra so I gave it a go. I am getting consistent speed during the day but no noticeable difference to what I had before. I assume the point to changing to the gamer package is to avoid traffic management.

I WANT!!! They still don't cover my area yet :(

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I WANT!!! They still don't cover my area yet :(

Sky, EE and BT are offering around 70Mbps. The issue with Virgin (or probably every provider) is the hassle of renewing your contract and haggle with them for a decent price. I may need to change providers to get the best value for money as they don't really reward loyalty.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would be amazed if you saw 70Mb/s through the phone lines... regardless of their claims.

Your gamer package actually seems to be running slow. Are you doing it through wireless? It's worthwhile trying a different server to see if you can max it out. A lot of the servers actually struggle to cope with the bandwidth nowadays.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would be amazed if you saw 70Mb/s through the phone lines... regardless of their claims.

Your gamer package actually seems to be running slow. Are you doing it through wireless? It's worthwhile trying a different server to see if you can max it out. A lot of the servers actually struggle to cope with the bandwidth nowadays.

Isn't the maximum 200Mbps? It is wired but using my laptop I get a faster speed

My computer is connected using an ethernet cable but going through a ethernet switch and a range extended. Could that be the reason for a slower wired speed?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Isn't the maximum 200Mbps? It is wired but using my laptop I get a faster speed

My computer is connected using an ethernet cable but going through a ethernet switch and a range extended. Could that be the reason for a slower wired speed?

Yes that would likely explain it. The 207mb/s is much more typical. As much as it's up to 200 they almost always allow for 10% more to more or less guarantee you the 200mb/s rate. I've never done a test that's ran less than 150mb/s (I'm on the 150mb/s package). VM are untouchable for broadband IMO.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just did a quick test through wireless....

6294849949.png

Notice the difference in your ping time. I'm guessing this is what you are paying for?

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wish I had Virgin in my area. Areas only serviced by OpenReach get so screwed over. Paying the same for 38mbps as I was for 100mbps all because I live in a different area.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Screenshot_20170513-212626_01.png

Happy with that for £25pm. Had virgin for years then moved to a non-virgin area do had to switch to openreach.

Unlimited data, constant down and up speeds whenever I test at all times of day, up speeds the same as I was getting with virgin 200mb, ping always great.

If virgin does come to my area, not sure I can justify spending another £15 odd quid a month just to have faster download speeds when I don't notice the difference between 60 and 200.

Virgin do 300 now too. Is that really necessary? #gtxtitanoftheinternetworld

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If I want to play a game - e.g. a trial of a game on EA origin - I generally need to start downloading a day in advance. I'd say 300mbps would have its merits.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
If I want to play a game - e.g. a trial of a game on EA origin - I generally need to start downloading a day in advance. I'd say 300mbps would have its merits.
Meh. If a game downloads in 7 minutes instead of 15, that wouldn't justify an extra £15 every month to me. I could buy an extra game or two with that saving. When you're on dial up speeds I can sympathise that you want big speeds. But in my opinion there's diminishing returns of speed worth once you hit fibre.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Certainly the difference between 8mbps and 200mbps is much greater than 200mbps and 300mbps, especially when fibre is often about the same price as regular broadband anyway.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would assume the faster download speed helps when you have several people using the internet at the same time. Streaming 4K/HD content and downloading games/movies. My understanding was that the 300Mbps was really targetting small business use and it was something extra for home use or not heavily advertised I think. I have been with Virgin for years and the internet speed has increased from 50Mbps to what I have now. Can't really compare with other providers but downloading games is fast and we can all be doing different things online without affecting each other or experiencing a slow connection. Can't comment yet on the no traffic management as I don't really know when it kicks in during the day.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The speed itself doesn't bother me all that much, 38mbps is enough to download stuff pretty quick and the speed is always consistent. Which clearly shows that the lines aren't at full capacity, so why can't we all get access to higher speeds during off-peak times? Virgin have constantly upgraded their offered speeds, to the point where users on 20mbps a few years back now get at least 100mbps for the same price. Openreach has offered no free upgrades. I'm hoping that we can start getting some proper improvements once Openreach has split from BT. 50mbps should be the standard by now, yet at my parents for the weekend and its around 10mbps!

38mbps is enough for streaming 4K btw, at least on YouTube. I haven't had the opportunity to test Netflix or Amazon on it though.