Viruses!!!

calduf

Silver Level Poster
Hi, does anyone know how to open a USB drive without catching it's viruses? I'm sure this must be possible, but when I get my new pc I don't want to get it killed by viruses on the first day! Also just as a side question to opening a USB safely, any recommendations on getting rid of viruses on the actual pc / antivirus programs. Thanks :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
when you plug it in, it shouldnt give you any viruses as long as you dont open anything, then scan it with antivirus

I personally believe in either AVG Free or Avast Free along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and possibly Spybot S&D doing a scan on these will get rid of anything and everything

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i highly doubt it, as long as you havent installed anything on it, and the antivirus will stop it if a program from the memory stick tries to attack

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Microsoft has removed the USB autorun.inf feature from Windows 7. for exactly this reason.
This means that when you insert the USB drive, the programs will not automatically start up,
although the auto play window will open,just close it.
You can then right click on the drive in computer and select scan with whatever antivirus program you have installed.
Be aware this is not the case with vista or xp,whether you open it or not a virus can still get through via the autorun.inf,which is not the same thing as autoplay..

Last edited:

Dave

Bronze Level Poster
To stop infection from a pen drive you want to wipe, Download a bootable version of Linux. Boot from the CD and format the pen drive.