Vortex 3 7970m vs Intel HD graphics 4000 problem

Jaxko

I got my new laptop yesterday and Im very pleased with it so far. but I've been playing games for the last few hours and I had fraps on to see what my fps was during it. For Tribes Ascend I was hitting about 22fps on ultra and around 18fps on split second velocity on ultra putting it to low got me an extra 5-10fps. Im thinking this is the Intel HD 4000 playing instead of my 7970m, is this a simple driver problem that I will have to wait out or is there another problem thats going on?

my spec:

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM (PRE-ORDER, EARLY JUNE)
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ULTIMATE-N 6300 (450Mbps)
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 220W AC Adaptor
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC3000S Ultimate Cooler, 220mm fan, upto 17.3inch (£35)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS & UK OFFSHORE ISLANDS / N IRELAND (£12)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,447.38 including VAT and delivery.

Thanks very much,
Jack.

Maestro

Have you installed the 7970m driver from the disc. Do you get the catalyst control centre and do you get the prompt asking which gpu you want to use when starting apps for the first time. I note that you didnt order an os from us, so if you havent got ccc or enduro working then you have probably incorrectly installed the drivers etc.

Jaxko

Have you installed the 7970m driver from the disc. Do you get the catalyst control centre and do you get the prompt asking which gpu you want to use when starting apps for the first time. I note that you didnt order an os from us, so if you havent got ccc or enduro working then you have probably incorrectly installed the drivers etc.

I have installed the drivers from the disc provided and I can use catalyst control centre, I can change it to high performance, not assigned or power saving, is this what you mean?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Edit: putting one of the games on to high performance in catalyst control centre seems to have fixed my problem, split second is capped at 30 so its stuck to that, much better though. I tried it with tribes ascend and it is up at 60 from 14, so that definitely seemed to help. does this mean I have to manually switch it to high performance for every software and game i want to be using the 7970m?

Last edited: