Vortex 3: Keyboard's key problem

Luxas

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys. I pointed the issue out in my review but I didn't hear about it yet. Would be great if someone from PCS forum could have a look.

I got my Vortex 3 yesterday. Unfortunately (copying form the review):

I pressed every key before starting the notebook. It failed again "C" button was somehow different. The button isn't as tight as the other ones. Nothing serious. But that is not what I was expecting. You can see it in the photos. Does the warrany cover it? What would you recommend? After all I do not want to be with a missing "c" button on the keyboard ;)

13zvcsz.jpg

254vr7r.jpg

The button just seams like it didn't "fit correctly",its loose. Maybe taking it out and placing back would solve it. (What is the mechanizm keeping the button in place?) However I do not want to do anything without prior request from PCS.

I also have few questions: Is there possibility of getting different keyboard? That highlight stuff is cool. But the rest doesn't suit me?

Rudlin

I have the same problem with TAB button, it only works when pressed firmly with both fingers. It is a minor issue, but maybe anyone knows how can i help it?

Luxas

Bronze Level Poster
I am wondering if UK keyboard it made by the same company, from the same components and of the same quality as US.

nipplepie

Bronze Level Poster
I am getting a similar problem with the

EDIT: WITH THE >>>>M<<<<<

It works fine if I apply some pressure. But I am used to typing quick, and often I see that a few keys haven't registered. Seen how many people are having similar keyboard issues, this is quite a fail for a over a grand laptop...

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
often I see that a few keys haven't registered

My Vortex 3 is doing the same thing too.

I am a quick typer and I find that a number of keystrokes aren't registering so I have to go back and make an awful lot of corrections and is fast becoming a pain!

Are PCS doing anything to address this?

this is quite a fail for a over a grand laptop

Quite right indeed!!

_Francesco_

One random key not quite functioning as intended I could probably deal with, but a key not functioning at all and/or keys occasionally not registering sounds like a nightmare.

My sympathy to PCS if they're unknowingly stuck with a bunch of machines with keyboards like this, as well as those of you who are having to endure this! Aside from the grave inconvenience of acquiring an external keyboard, I'm guessing this isn't something that's easily fixable or covered under warranty?

Last edited:

Rudlin

I have the exact same issue with tab

Finn I think I had it sorted. What I did was lightly tap button for a minute as many times as you and hold firmly a for a minute and then repeat again. Seems like its more responsive now. Hope it helps

sirpete

Figured this was worth a bump to see how many others have been unfortunate enough to experience this.
A few times when typing on forms I've looked up to see I've jumped to the next field for no apparent reason. Mouse pad is disabled, so I haven't accidentally hit that.
Also, how do you get the Keyboard LED menu up? I've tried fn + every bloody key going, but nothing works except toggle on/off.

Had the exact same issue with the Tab Key, so sent the laptop back to be repaired. Really hope they manage to fix it! Disheartening to see more people with the same problem :p

nipplepie

Bronze Level Poster
fn + / does nothing

Fn / on the numpad for the menu. (Alternativly look at your icon notifications (next ur time & date) and find that Laptop icon. Menu is under Bcaklight keyboard.)
Fn - or + to decrease or increase the brightness of the keys.

Finn

Enthusiast
Have you installed the drivers off the CD? think its something like hotkey, possibly out of the optional section.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Is there any any proper fix for the Vortex 3 keyboard's unresponsive keyboard? I am a programmer and type pretty quick and having to keep going back fixing mistakes isn't doing it for me.

Finn

Enthusiast
I'm awaiting to see what happens with apatheticferret's RMA before deciding whether to try sending mine back, i'm a programmer too and tab is a pretty damned important key

Big_Rich

Silver Level Poster
I wonder what the thinking was behind swapping the keyboard from chiclet on the Vortex II to standard on the Vortex III. Something to do with the backlighting?