Vortex 3: Keyboard's key problem

Luxas

Bronze Level Poster
If you are a programmer most likely you don't need to look at the keyboard. You can upgreade to the MSI steelseries backlit keyboard. (Check NBR for that) Unfortunately PCS doesn't offer it. ATM I'm looking where can I get that keyboard in the UK. If you find it before I do I'll be glad for letting me know.

cheers
L.

Last edited:

Finn

Enthusiast
why would I want to pay for a replacement keyboard when the one that comes with the laptop should work?

Mattt

Mine has been back with PCS for a week now due to an unresponsive & non-backlit keyboard.

No news yet on the repair, starting to get concerned.

Seems this is an issue with the Vortex 3 keyboard at the moment - I would advise holding off ordering one until they fix this.

johnckeen

i can confirm im having issues with my tab key also. I will be calling tech support later on. Its not just the tab key though, they are very intermitent and now and again it misses a key which is highly frustrating!

johnckeen

I've taken the keyboard out as requested by the tech guys to investigate and to re seat the keyboard into the zif connector.
This is what i found which i believe is causing the problem.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389165_10150879093891126_1967567164_n.jpg
Its got a very severe fold on the ribbon but only covers half of it so I'm inclined to say that this is causing the issue. There is no way to fix the issue though as it sits ontop of the white connector just below it so no matter what it gets crushed when you screw the keyboard back down...
I've sent an email to PCS and hopefully we can get a solution as this keyboard is driving me nuts missing keys when I'm typing!!

Last edited:

johnckeen

Top marks to PCS, they are sending me a replacement, all i have to do is give the old one back when courier arrives.
Thank you PCS, amazing service!

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Cool, do let us know how to replace the keyboard as I am considering doing the same to mine once I have given PCS the nod to send me a replacement keyboard.

Finn

Enthusiast
I'm interested to know how difficult it is too. Did they say if this is a common problem? eg is the new keyboard likely to have the same issue?

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Just had a look at how to remove the keyboard and it's actually quite easy. In the absence of any instructions I had to figure it out :)

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
I emailed PCS about my keyboard not working and got a reply back saying they will send a replacement out to be delivered tomorrow.

Now, I haven't received any delivery confirmation text or email yet. Does this mean they have forgotten? I don't want to take my keyboard out yet if the replacement isn't being delivered to me tomorrow.

Do I need to raise an RMA for this?

Last edited:

zacmar

Hey everyone,

I just received my Vortex III yesterday, and I seem to be having the same problems too. The keyboard keys don't seem misplaced like in those pictures, but I have to press "n, "h", and "j" harder than the rest for them to be registered. If I hold them firmly for a few seconds the problem goes away but only temporarily. I'll call PCS today and see what they tell me.

HelBic

Bronze Level Poster
Hopefully, they'll sort this problem out PRIOR to delivering my Vortex III laptop, which is in day 9 of production....

Rakk

The Awesome
Hopefully, they'll sort this problem out PRIOR to delivering my Vortex III laptop, which is in day 9 of production....

Remember that this has happened in a few cases out of thousands (I suspect), if it was a problem with every single keyboard then they wouldn't be using that keyboard anymore, but as with everything, there is never a 100% success rate, so occassionally these problems arise.

johnckeen

hey guys, just had the new keyboard arrive about 30 minutes ago and so far so good :)

Thanks PCS for sorting it so quickly, much appreciated.

When they say sent out tomorrow, they mean sent out tomorrow and not delivered tomorrow, so if you wait till tomorrow around 6pm you'll get an email of confirmation that DPD has picked the package up.

My RMA was picked up on Friday, fingers crossed the issues are resolved ok... Good to hear that people with similar problems on here are happy with the results on return. :)

johnckeen

After having the keyboard now for a few days, its still not much better than before.
Still missing the odd key here and there but never mind. Everything else is perfect.
Word of caution to the Nvidia gtx675m people like me, the beta drivers on the nvidia website are a bit buggy to stay on the ones on the cd your given with the laptop unless you want lots of blue screening!

HelBic

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the advice John - I'm expecting mine today which has the GTX675M so will not use the beta drivers.