Vortex II - WLAN won't enable under Windows 7 Pro

roofrack

Hi,

I have a brand new Vortex II with a 6230-N combined WLAN & BT card. I bought the laptop without an O/S and I've put Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on it (which went without a hiccup). I then went through the PCS-supplied driver & utils disk, installing the drivers one by one in sequence. Everything is fine until I come to install the WLAN or BT drivers. I'm told I cannot install them because the relevant devices are not enabled. I hit Fn F12 and the BT light comes on, but the driver still won't install. I hit Fn F11 and the WLAN light won't come on at all.

Any ideas (other than reinstalling the O/S) ?

Thanks

Gary

P.S. I'm only asking the forum now because its Friday night and there'll be no PCS support until Monday.

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi roofrack,

There are three different wireless drivers available for your model. Try the Clevo Intel Wireless + BT Combo Drivers; if these do not work please do the following:

1. Enter device manager (right click my computer -> properties -> device manager on the left)
  2. Extend Network Adapters and check if your wireless card is present and enabled. If Fn+F11 does not enable the card, right click and enable it manually.

You can also try the Realtek WLAN Drivers and the Intel 6300 Drivers posted on the Clevo site.

If the adapter still does not work, get properties of the adapter, and on the Details tab, use the drop down menu to select Hardware IDs. Post all of the hardware id's displayed here please.

Last edited:

roofrack

Hi roofrack,

There are three different wireless drivers available for your model. Try the Clevo Intel Wireless + BT Combo Drivers; if these do not work please do the following:

1. Enter device manager (right click my computer -> properties -> device manager on the left)
  2. Extend Network Adapters and check if your wireless card is present and enabled. If Fn+F11 does not enable the card, right click and enable it manually.

You can also try the Realtek WLAN Drivers and the Intel 6300 Drivers posted on the Clevo site.

If the adapter still does not work, get properties of the adapter, and on the Details tab, use the drop down menu to select Hardware IDs. Post all of the hardware id's displayed here please.

Hi again,

Tried all three driver options you suggested. The Intel stuff will not recognise the adapter and fails on the first of the series of tests it runs (Hardware failure). Fn F11 either says OFF all the time or, with one of the driver options I tried, ON all the time (but never any blue light).

In short, it looks like the WLAN is faulty.

However, here are the adapter details you requested (and thanks for offering to help out like this):

Item is listed with warning sub-icon under 'Other devices' as 'Network Controller'.
"The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"
Hardware ids:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_40608086&REV_24
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_40608086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&CC_0280

Let me know if you want any more info - and thanks again.

roofrack

Maestro,

Don't know how to thank you enough !

This is the first of four different driver sets I've tried which has actually recognised the adapter ! I genuinely thought the h/w was faulty but the WLAN is now up & running.

What I don't understand is this. How come the 'update driver' routine wouldn't recognise anything on the internet (I was on a wired connection) ? How come none of the drivers on the PCS supplied utility disk worked ? You obviously know something us mere mortals don't....

But hey, thanks again.

dangro474

Bright Spark
Your hardware ID does indeed indicate that your wireless adapter is either an n1030 or N6235, glad to hear you got it working :]

Thanks for the link Maestro. Just for future reference, is this a stock adapter supplied with the chassis or an adapter installed by PCS?