Vortex III ordered but don't see the 80gb Intel SSD

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Just taken delivery of a Vortex III tody but I don't see the Intel 80gb mSATA SSD. It doesn't show up in device manager and I am concerned that PCS may have forgotten to put it in. Can anyone help?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check in disk management to see if the drive is showing there,
click "Start"/right click"computer"/Manage/under "Storage"select "Disk Management",
or click "start" and type diskmgmt.msc in search box.
It's possible you only need to assign a Drive letter,
to do this right click on the bar of the drive in the lower half of the screen,
select "change drive letter and paths"
click on the Add button in the next menu and pick a drive letter.
Click ok to assign selected drive letter or choose your own letter (one thats not already being used)from the drop down menu.
If the drive is showing as unallocated,
right click on the black bar of the "unallocated drive",
click on "new simple volume"then follow the wizard.
check in "computer" to confirm missing drive is showing.

If it's not showing in disk management, check the drive isn't disabled in bios settings,

failing that check the drive hasn't come loose in transit.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Before I ordered the laptop PCS told me that if I ordered the mSATA drive then Windows 7 will be installed on their by default. That does not appear to be the case as it's installed onto the 750gb drive and only two drives show up in disk management. I will check the BIOS to see if its been disabled.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The 17.3" Vortex III only supports two drives plus optical drive,unless you selected an mSATA SSD Cache drive,nothing can be installed on a cache drive far as I know.

Last edited:

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
I didn't order a cache drive.

I ordered the Intel 310 80gb mSATA and was told by PCS they will install Window 7 onto there leaving the hard drives free.

I don't think the mSATA has been installed :( so I am not happy bunny if that's the case as I don't really want to have to take the laptop back.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
In that case I can only advise you give PCS a call to sort things out.

That won't be easy as I am I deaf and I will have to use the live chat on my lunch break. The last thing I wanted was for things to go wrong and it looks like it just has :(

keynes

Multiverse Poster
That won't be easy as I am I deaf and I will have to use the live chat on my lunch break. The last thing I wanted was for things to go wrong and it looks like it just has :(

Send an email to technical support loging into your account on the PCS website. You could also try sending a PM to one of the administrators in the forum.

Dotnetwizard

Bronze Level Poster
Have sent an email to PCS.

As a side note I think they have put in the cache drive in error rather than the intel 310. The BIOS shows intel rapid start as enabled, but no intel 310 seems to show up anywhere.

Maestro

We will be able to check this tomorrow. However Intel rapid start is not intel smart response technology. ISRT uses an ssd for a cache drive. Intel rapid start allows a quick resume from hibernate.

sirpete

Thanks, Vanthus - I had a similar problem on my new Vortex 3, the second hard drive was not showing in Computer. Your fix worked like a charm :)