Vortex IV Review

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 180GB INTEL® 335 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Floppy Disk Drive NONE
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Cable 1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
Delivery PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-10AM
Build Time FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Built By Mark Bradley
Tested By Ben Alderson
QC'd By Ben Alderson
Packed By Adam Kirby

It arrived this morning and first impressions are great! I was initially a bit apprehensive on buying a clevo chassis since I had read a few negative reviews regarding the quality of the chassis but the chassis looks well finished and durable which is important. I love the backlit keyboard and the position of the keys in the keyboard is great.
I was also extremely grateful to the excellent customer service provided by Mooseh before placing my order and during the whole process afterwards. I will try to run some benchmarks and games later on and update my review. Thank you PCS!!

DSCN0660.jpgDSCN0659.jpgDSCN0658.jpgDSCN0657.jpgDSCN0656.jpg

Update
Review
Ordering:
I was looking for a gaming laptop when I am not around home; I was initially going to buy an ASUS laptop since I was not very familiar with Clevo. Placing my order was pretty straightforward, I decided to buy it on finance and completing the application form took less than 5 minutes. Mooseh was able to assist me during the process and modify my order during the pre-building stages.
Design and build
I was expecting a thick brick but I was wrong! The chassis looks very nice and sleek, the backlit keyboard is excellent and easy to configure. The keys are very comfortable to type on.
Display
I was very pleased with the screen. Vivid colours and not very reflective and so far no dead pixels (touch wood!). I have tried Bioshock Infinite and watched Inception, just stunning.
Performance
I have an SSD as the primary drive so it takes seconds to load windows. I have only managed to run Bioshock Infinite and it max the game without any issues, the pictures enclosed are not an accurate reflection of how great it looks! I was planning to get a soundcard due to the few negative feedbacks on the forum regarding the sound on this chassis but I was pleasantly surprise with how good the sound is when using my headphones, no need at all to get an external soundcard.
Conclusion
Very happy with my purchase and the service provided. PCS offers excellent systems at very competitive prices; the service provided is second to none. This is my 2nd system from PCS and I am definitely getting the next one from them. Thanks again for an awesome laptop!

3DMARK score:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/547507

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
People Rep Mining again (name dropping) looking good! Looking forward to a good review.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Good job you amended it before production otherwise that would be a hefty amendment fee!

Blackdog

Bright Spark
This is awesome. It's also easier for me to steal than one of your gpus when i find out where you live. :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Review
Ordering:
I was looking for a gaming laptop when I am not around home; I was initially going to buy an ASUS laptop since I was not very familiar with Clevo. Placing my order was pretty straightforward, I decided to buy it on finance and completing the application form took less than 5 minutes. Mooseh was able to assist me during the process and modify my order during the pre-building stages.
Design and build
I was expecting a thick brick but I was wrong! The chassis looks very nice and sleek, the backlit keyboard is excellent and easy to configure. The keys are very comfortable to type on.
Display
I was very pleased with the screen. Vivid colours and not very reflective and so far no dead pixels (touch wood!). I have tried Bioshock Infinite and watched Inception, just stunning.
Performance
I have an SSD as the primary drive so it takes seconds to load windows. I have only managed to run Bioshock Infinite and it max the game without any issues, the pictures enclosed are not an accurate reflection of how great it looks! I was planning to get a soundcard due to the few negative feedbacks on the forum regarding the sound on this chassis but I was pleasantly surprise with how good the sound is when using my headphones, no need at all to get an external soundcard.
Conclusion
Very happy with my purchase and the service provided. PCS offers excellent systems at very competitive prices; the service provided is second to none. This is my 2nd system from PCS and I am definitely getting the next one from them. Thanks again for an awesome laptop!

DSCN0682.jpgDSCN0675.jpgDSCN0668.jpg

3DMARK score:
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/547507

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the rep :) I have updated my initial post. I played RE 6 for a couple of hours and the temps seem fine with a maximum of 80 decrees for the gpu which I assume is reasonable considering is a laptop. Something I am a bit unsure about is the SoundBlaster X-fi sticker on the laptop, is there a related software?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If there is it'll be on the disc, presumably
It was already installed however when I try to run it I get a warning message that no suitable hardware is in place.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Update:
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
I am finding the wireless card pretty good, I have not loss connection and it feels way faster than my previous laptop.
With killer wirless card

old laptop

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Update:
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
I am finding the wireless card pretty good, I have not loss connection and it feels way faster than my previous laptop.
With killer wirless card

old laptop

WOW, that's pretty decent mate! N i thought the killer was just a gimmick

sweet review mate, :)