VortexII 3D with the 580m?

slane

Bronze Level Poster
It says: GeForce™ GTX560M/GTX580M in the configurator but I can't choose it anywhere.

Is it possible to have the 580 in the V2 3D? Or the Amd 6990m?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Read in another thread its going to be available either later this month or sometime next month

Cheers, I'm also wondering about just getting the vortex II 17 with the 6990m GPU and getting a 3d capable monitor and HDMI-ing my games onto it and playing 3d that way. Any idea if this would work, I am complete novice in this area and can't seem to find much info on the subject, which makes me think the answer is obviously yes??

Do you know if they will put the 6990m into the 3d version or is it the Nvidia only as that's what runs the 3d glasses? The 580m costs so much more than the 6990m but they are closely matched performance wise, with the 6990m coming up best in a few places. Choices, choices, choices.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
monitor doesnt matter as far as im aware, you must have the right card

im sure there are probably work arounds for AMD cards but nothing official, why do you need a laptop if you are going to be putting it on a screen? and do you really want 3D?

slane

Bronze Level Poster
monitor doesnt matter as far as im aware, you must have the right card

im sure there are probably work arounds for AMD cards but nothing official, why do you need a laptop if you are going to be putting it on a screen? and do you really want 3D?

I have been considering getting the Vortex II 3d but I'm concerned that the 580m is going to push the price up beyond affordability for me, but I could be wrong. Plus the 6990m outperformes the 580m. The cost difference with the Vortex II 17 (non 3d) is crazy, you pay so much more just to have Nvidia sticker rather than AMD, but that could just be my uneducated cynicism.

And yes, do I really want 3D. It has caught my eye and makes me think "ooo shiny" thinking about gaming and watching films 3D but realistically are there many (decent) games/films in 3d. Not really. But more might come.

I want the laptop so I can play games.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
obviously you want to play games, but the same budget on a PC will get you so much further in the way of performance

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah you're right that I can get more for my money with a PC, as well as being more easily upgradeable but a laptop I can sit in bed and play and take around with me. You can probably get the same specs for 1/3 or 1/2 the price right, by going PC rather than laptop?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh, you could always get a wireless keyboard and mouse and a solid mousemat and play in bed if your screen is close to you, mine is pretty close and at the perfect angle for viewing

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Sorry Wozza but your information is not correct about 3D,

AMD do support 3D, it isnt just NVIDIA. NVIDIA have whats called 3D surround, which is hardware implemented 3D.

AMD do however also do 3D, if you want more specific details about supported monitors, graphics cards and TV's please look at this link

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry Wozza but your information is not correct about 3D,

AMD do support 3D, it isnt just NVIDIA. NVIDIA have whats called 3D surround, which is hardware implemented 3D.

AMD do however also do 3D, if you want more specific details about supported monitors, graphics cards and TV's please look at this link

Cheers

I've been checking this out, and still quite confused. Is it as easy as plugging the hdmi from laptop to tv and telling my graphics card to work in 3d mode. And getting some kind of glasses that works wit the tv. But some 3d tv's don't need glasses at all right, or would that not work?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Cheers

I've been checking this out, and still quite confused. Is it as easy as plugging the hdmi from laptop to tv and telling my graphics card to work in 3d mode. And getting some kind of glasses that works wit the tv. But some 3d tv's don't need glasses at all right, or would that not work?

Currently all 3D TV's and 3D monitors, except for the Nintendo 3Ds screen need glasses. There are some screens being worked on that dont need glasses however unless my understanding is incorrect its going to be hard for them to be created for use by more than one person. The 3Ds relies on the person facing the screen at a particular angle for it to work, this enables it to calculate the left and right images accordingly. If you have one person sat to the left of a tv and one to the right of a tv, the image it has to produce for the left and right eye are the same however the angle at which the user is viewing the tv is not constant. The reason for the glasses is that no matter what angle you are sat at to the tv, the tv / 3d system, is able to accuratley decide which image your left eye should see and which image your right eye should see. This si either done via polarization or active shutter.

As for AMD 3D, I dont know enough to be able to give you a definitive answer tbh, I only have experience with NVIDA, however, I would imagine it is as simple as plugging in.

slane

Bronze Level Poster
Right, after hours of and hours of trawling the web I think that i now know enough about 3d gaming. One thing I will say is that it nVidia make it really easy to do, and the cost of teh IR emitter which syncs the glasses is much cheaper than versions by other companies which is quite a good deal if you ask. Having said that though there are a few TV's and even projectors which have that tech inbuilt so it would not be necessary to use nNvidia at all, and go for the much more wallet friendly AMD.

I might get a 3d projector, there are some good ones out there and under £400 with 720p resolution and 2500 lumens (like I know what I'm talking about)...

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE

We are getting an air shipment of Vortex II + 580M in the next 5 - 7 days :)

tfcoulson

Silver Level Poster
Did quite a lot of looking into the differences between the new nvidia and amd cards, and in gaming benchmarks the nvidia seemed to outperform the other by a little bit for most games, but not all. So personally I went for that.