Vyper 17 Slow on Battery

Emi22

Hi guys,

I got my Vyper 17 with RTX 2070 super.
Everything runs good but when I use it on battery it runs really slow to the point that I get some freeze moment when browsing.
The battery also only last about an hour doing light browsing on the web.

Are there any other Vyper 17 owner that can tell me if you have the same issue?

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys,

I got my Vyper 17 with RTX 2070 super.
Everything runs good but when I use it on battery it runs really slow to the point that I get some freeze moment when browsing.
The battery also only last about an hour doing light browsing on the web.

Are there any other Vyper 17 owner that can tell me if you have the same issue?

Thanks!
Did you order with windows or without?

Emi22

Have you got all devices installed in device manager?
Yes, all my devices are installed. Is doesn't bother me much that it runs slow on battery but I want to know if this is normal among Vyper 17 owners. Could be that's is just me and is a hardware issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, all my devices are installed. Is doesn't bother me much that it runs slow on battery but I want to know if this is normal among Vyper 17 owners. Could be that's is just me and is a hardware issue.
i think it’s more likely windows isn’t configured correctly.

have you installed all updates?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Check the Windows power option settings. I'll bet it's on Balanced which will slow things down on battery - because that's what it's designed to do.

Either swap to a high performance mode (which will reduce battery life even more) or mange the individual power settings.

On any gaming laptop you just can't have peak performance and long battery life.

Baki

Hi guys, this topic looks dead but I noticed something about this issue.
FYI, I still have some drivers issues so it might be the first problem BUT
I just noticed that without the Keyboard's RGB lights, my computer doesn't get any freeze or slowdown while running on battery.
Whereas if I turn on the keyboard's lights, then it will instantly slowdown.

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
I just noticed that without the Keyboard's RGB lights, my computer doesn't get any freeze or slowdown while running on battery.
Out of interest, how long does your Vyper last on battery?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In troubleshooting terms, saying that invalidates everything that follows. If you know (or suspect) you have a problem you must resolve it before looking further.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So i received my Vyper yesterday and have discovered i have exactly the same issue. Its mega weird.
I'm assuming that you don't have any driver issues? ;)

Does changing the power option profile to High Performance make any difference?

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Hello,
I'm having the same problem with my Vyper 17. The laptop is very slow and laggy on battery. I don't know why but this is new, before everything was working fine. Cinebench r20 results: before 2600+, now about 800-1300. The PL1 and PL2 are set to 35W but as soon as I do anything on the laptop it throttles down to 5w. When I use the IGPU mode in the bios I'm getting 2600+ everytime again. So the issue must be GPU related (I have the 2080 S MQ). I've pretty much read all the forums about the vyper and it's issues, I've reinstalled windows and all the drivers twice. I have no missing drivers in the device Manager and changing the power plan in windows does nothing.
Any idea how to fix that issue ?
Cheers

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello,
I'm having the same problem with my Vyper 17. The laptop is very slow and laggy on battery. I don't know why but this is new, before everything was working fine. Cinebench r20 results: before 2600+, now about 800-1300. The PL1 and PL2 are set to 35W but as soon as I do anything on the laptop it throttles down to 5w. When I use the IGPU mode in the bios I'm getting 2600+ everytime again. So the issue must be GPU related (I have the 2080 S MQ). I've pretty much read all the forums about the vyper and it's issues, I've reinstalled windows and all the drivers twice. I have no missing drivers in the device Manager and changing the power plan in windows does nothing.
Cheers
Before what was everything working fine? If something was working and now it's not then something has changed. What changed?

barlew

Godlike
Hello,
Cheers

I am sceptical that everything was working fine because this appears to be a known fault with the Vyper 17.

Have a look at this thread:

Contact PCS and log it with them. Hopefully the more people that raise a ticket for this issue the quicker we receive a fix.

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I wrote 2 messages already and deleted them as I wanted to do some further testing first.
I've had 3 units of the Vyper 3 17 already because of various QC problems. Very annoying ! Therefore I've probably tested all the BIOS versions.

@barlew you can be sceptical all you want but I was getting 2600+ points in cinebench r20 consistently (many runs on different days). Now I only get these consistent results with the iGPU only mode set in the bios.

To answer @ubuysa's question about what has changed: Windows updates, new drivers (31.08 PCS website), new gaming center (03.09 PCS website). Did anyone experience this issues before updating any of those ?

I've contacted PCS about the issue and they advised to turn off the "low power mode" in the gaming center. I told them that there is no such thing and asked if they where referring to the "office mode". (no answer until now)
I tried changing through the modes in the gaming center and got some strange results: this "solution" worked for a couple of cinebench runs but then reverted back. I've also tried @barlew's fix (changing the PL1 & PL2 in Throttlestop) and this gave me 2300 points in cinebench until it also reverted back.
I have the feeling that something is competing with the settings in the BIOS.

@barlew you should be careful about Intel XTU as is is not compatible with the i7 10785H and with 10th gen intel CPU XTU actually writes directly to the bios and changes settings automatically. Check this out https://download.schenker-tech.de/temp/BIOS_and_Tuning_Warning_and_Guide_Intel-Comet-Lake.pdf
Is there someone that didn't use XTU and still has low performance on battery ?

Sorry for my englisch, I'm not a native.

I hope we can solve this issue soon !

Last edited:

briggm

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I wrote 2 messages already and deleted them as I wanted to do some further testing first.
I've had 3 units of the Vyper 3 17 already because of various QC problems. Very annoying ! Therefore I've probably tested all the BIOS versions.

@barlew you can be sceptical all you want but I was getting 2600+ points in cinebench r20 consistently (many runs on different days). Now I only get these consistent results with the iGPU only mode set in the bios.

To answer @ubuysa's question about what has changed: Windows updates, new drivers (31.08 PCS website), new gaming center (03.09 PCS website). Did anyone experience this issues before updating any of those ?

I've contacted PCS about the issue and they advised to turn off the "low power mode" in the gaming center. I told them that there is no such thing and asked if they where referring to the "office mode". (no answer until now)
I tried changing through the modes in the gaming center and got some strange results: this "solution" worked for a couple of cinebench runs but then reverted back. I've also tried @barlew's fix (changing the PL1 & PL2 in Throttlestop) and this gave me 2300 points in cinebench until it also reverted back.
I have the feeling that something is competing with the settings in the BIOS.

@barlew you should be careful about Intel XTU as is is not compatible with the i7 10785H and with 10th gen intel CPU XTU actually writes directly to the bios and changes settings automatically. Check this out https://download.schenker-tech.de/temp/BIOS_and_Tuning_Warning_and_Guide_Intel-Comet-Lake.pdf
Is there someone that didn't use XTU and still has low performance on battery ?

Sorry for my englisch, I'm not a native.

I hope we can solve this issue soon !
When they say "low power mode", I'm assuming they're referring to the eco switch you can toggle on and off when in office mode.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi guys,

That's interesting. Is this the only one with this 'slow on battery' issue?

Which suggests it's either a dGPU hardware or driver issue.

Installing drivers from the PCS website might not have been wise, they're likely out of date. I would be tempted to download the latest driver for your GPU and OS from the Nvidia website, then download and install DDU and use that to remove all previous Nvidia driver versions (it will then do a reboot) and finally install the latest driver you just downloaded.

I have the feeling that something is competing with the settings in the BIOS?
If this laptop was working properly once and now it's not then I would think that the most likely cause is software or driver related. I'd be wary of changing any settings from what they were when it was working properly....

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
That's interesting. Is this the only one with this 'slow on battery' issue?
Yes
Installing drivers from the PCS website might not have been wise, they're likely out of date. I would be tempted to download the latest driver for your GPU and OS from the Nvidia website, then download and install DDU and use that to remove all previous Nvidia driver versions (it will then do a reboot) and finally install the latest driver you just downloaded.
Well its not a question of being wise or not, you HAVE to install some drivers from PSC as windows does not install all the drivers by itself. As you know from another forum Tong Fang did not provide Microsoft with all the drivers. I did not reinstall all the drivers from PCS. Just the gaming center and the few missing ones in the device manager. My NVidia drivers are from NVidia directly.