waht are your favourite reads,books,comics

greybing

what are your favourite reads,books,comics

mine are ,the lord of the rings,[jrr tolkien]fight club,invisible monsters,choke,survivor[chuck palahnuik]hitch hikers guide to the galaxy[douglas addams]......l.o.t.r. beats them all,i maean the guy started the whole fantasy genre...without that genius book there would be no fantasy genre as we know it -now kiling orcs in mmorpg's.As for fight club,though you may have witnessed the great film ,it still doesn't do justice to the book-all the novels of his i mention are full of dark humour,his writing style is unique-to the point[its the kind of book that a none reader can get into because he does not overly explain stuff ,its just succint,fuuny and intersting also full of nihilistc and zen philosophy,after reading his first 4 novels tou really feel that they can profoundly change your outlook for the better-not in a cheesy american self help way.Also i like neil gaiman,terry pratchett and generally fantasy and science fiction and fact books,especially meteorology[im a bit of a weather geek]...........Anyway diatribe ramble waffle over,what about the rest of you guys....what do you like to read in the way way of books and comics...

Last edited:

Stappa

Enthusiast
'what are your favourite reads,books,comics'

In no particular order these are some of my fav books/authors, all are Military History/Thrillers and all are well worth reading:)

Bernard Cornwell
David Gemmell
Dewey Lambdin
Tom clancy
C. S. Forester
Patrick o'brian
Patrick Robinson
James Herbert
Julian Stockwin
Edward Marston
Alen mallinson
Alexander Kent
Conn Iggulden
simon Scarrow
Brad Thor
Stephen Leather

greybing

i think i've read a few david gemell novels,can't remember much of them.....of late i have been reading max brooks 'worlzd war z' ,pretty good.it's written in first hand accounts by people involved in a zombie outbreak ans subsequent war.pretty goob also 'th zomdie survival guide to survival' by the same author is cool.

greybing

George Orwell was also great,1984 is a classic -Aldous huxley was also great with brave new world being top- one of his lesser known titles 'island' is good and also'the doors of perception ' is well worth a read'-this is the novel book which inspired the name of the great band the doors.

Sleinous

Author Level
Bernard Cornwall
Clive Cussler
William Price - Entire adventure series
JKR
Davvid CLement Davis
Captain W.E Johns
JRR Tolkien

....to name but a few in no particular order.

Last edited:

greybing

god...this thread is popular,i kind of suspected as much what with the general level of spelling on most forums............come on people read,

Snyper

Top authors include Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Simon R Green - there's enough in their bibliographies to keep you in reading material for a while! Favourite individual books include 'Grunts' by Mary Gentle (possibly the greatest fantasy novel of all time - with a great sense of humour), 'Here Lies Arthur' by Philip Reeve (an excellent take on the Arthurian story), 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (just a modern classic, Gaiman's darker edge works really well with Pratchett's skewed world view).

Apart from those for starters, there's loads of stuff on my bookshelves that's worth a read.

Comics-wise, I'm a DC man rather than Marvel for the most part (though Nick Fury and Doc Strange rock!). Top DC characters include Green Arrow (Mike Grell's Longbow Hunters mini-series and his monthly were just legendary) and chunks of the Gotham-based Bat titles. Hellblazer is one title that I've followed from the start until I stopped buying comics a couple of years ago, and these days I'll read any graphic novel that I get my hands on (the libraries round here have a good selection that keep me busy).

I'm sure there's more I could add in here, but it'll do for a start!

Last edited:

greybing

neil gaiman is a good authour,great ideas,terry pratchett also....you can't go wrong with the disc world novels

frosty

Robert Ludlam.

If you liked the Bourne Trilogy read the books there are at least 5 books in the series and way more happens than the ever show in the films, im on book 3 at the moment and it would probably have made 5 films already if they put it all in there.

Tom DWC

I loved the Harry Potter books as a kid and sort of grew up with them. Unfortunately I enjoyed them so much I never wanted to read anything else afterward and once I grew out of them, stopped reading period. All I do now is read online or articles in newspapers/magazines etc etc.

BAD SANTA

Thought I would add to it,
My fav book ever was one I read at school called The Electric Kid, stumbled across it at the library and it was wicked but looked for it since just to see if it really was as good as it was back then and can't find it anywhere.
Now if I read which is not very often at all, Would be either Terry Pratchett or comics, Marvel stuff mainly like The Avengers or Iron Man.
Fav Terry Pratchett book ever has got to be The Colour Of Magic.