Web Template

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
Since I am trying to create a simple yet visual web site template.
I would like you all to check this out and help me fine tune it.

http://som.crawlerbasher.net/

The template is how I want it.
Background picture with a focus on to the centre.

Now I'm looking at things like.

Are you eyes drawn to the centre.
Can you see the text clearly (I.e I might have to change to a lighter gradient for the bottom half.

I do expect some negative comments, but please no its rubbish you don't know what you doing etc..
If you going to give a negative comment, make it constructive ie.
I can't see a the bottom because its too dark try changing the colour and making it lighter etc..

This way I can fix these little negatives.
Also as speed of the page loading is very important as well as the visual look and feel of the site.

I would like if possible to note the speed it tock you to load the one page and the connection speed you are using.

And here are 2 questions to help me.
1. What is the average mounter size these days.
2. what is the average internet speed for web surfers.

Thank you for your help in advance.

PokerFace

Banned
My eyes were drawn straight to the photo. Hardly surprising though as it does dominate the page and that's a remarkably good looking fella in the photo :).

To be honest, I never noticed the background picture at the sides of the photo for about one minute. What is the point of it anyway?

If you're keeping the purple background then I would prefer the bottom half to be lighter, maybe half way between the lighter and darker shades.

I would guess average monitor size is 20 - 24" depending on whether it's used just as a desktop or for gaming.

Your web page loaded immediately for me. I'm on 2.56mbs speed.

Have a look at this link for some download speeds.

That's my tuppence worth.

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
My eyes were drawn to the big picture in the middle, then the banner at the top "State of mind" thing, then i noticed the background picture.

Personally, i prefer a larger text area, so a smaller background picture, wider text area.

Page loaded instantly (Not sure what bandwidth i have, but it's average, not slow, not ultra fast)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Few things id note, theres too much text for a front page of a website. The front page needs to capture people instantly and make them want to read the rest, just like the cover for a book. The text is also too small, im running on resolution 1920 x 1080 on a 22 inch monitor using chrome and firefox and the writing is pretty small.

Background picture is good, but id dim it down a little, I find it pulling my focus from the centre, just turn the opacity down a bit on a black background and make the image fill full width otherwise the picture becomes the centre of the page and the green is the background.

Last couple of things id say are, make the menu text bigger than the content so they stand out and put a border around your image, whether using css or actually in photoshop etc, it will help define the photo more. (either center the image or wrap the text around too, one or the other)

Hope that helps.

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
BTW the too much text on the main page, if you actually read it, you see its just random gobble de goop, this was done on perpus to get the scroll bar to see how it would look when scrolling.
This is after all the template and not the main site.

With regards to the image, that will not be there on the main page, but rather it would be a thumbnail size on a different page (Plan on using javascript to make the image pop up with information and navigation, bit like facebook but with out that crap big black border it uses.

Some have said the text was a bit small, I'll see how it looks knocked up a bit, might have to change the font.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
BTW the too much text on the main page, if you actually read it, you see its just random gobble de goop, this was done on perpus to get the scroll bar to see how it would look when scrolling.
This is after all the template and not the main site.

With regards to the image, that will not be there on the main page, but rather it would be a thumbnail size on a different page (Plan on using javascript to make the image pop up with information and navigation, bit like facebook but with out that crap big black border it uses.

Some have said the text was a bit small, I'll see how it looks knocked up a bit, might have to change the font.

Cool, just base it on ems rather than specific sizes too if you havent already :)

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
after messing around with ems its not giving out the desired effect at all.
Its way too big or way too small.

Well say the use of size work simler to how ems should work?

font-size: small;
This is = to
font-size: 12px;

crawlerbasher

Silver Level Poster
Ok made some changes to the font size instead of using px, using font size small normal etc...
made the gradient lighter (might need to clear your catche to see it)

Still not happy with the main menu.
Been thinking of creating buttons or using a drop down menu system. (depending on the size of the contents)

Because of different monitors and screen res can you please if possible post your screen shots, so I can see it from a different perspective.

Last edited: