Weird one - LED mouse and mat stay lit even after computer is shut down.

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Hey again.

I recently reacquired my LED mouse again (just a normal laser mouse that is lit up and cycles through 7 colours) from my old pc, but I've noticed something weird with this one. I also have a mousemat that is LED lit as well, as well as a saitek eclipse keyboard.

This is the mouse btw: LED Mouse

With my old computer, all of the LEDs on these devices would turn off when I shut the computer down. With this one however, the mouse and mousemat will stay lit when the computer is shut off. The keyboard and case LED turn off fine, but these two persist.

Keyboard, mouse and mat are all connected via USB.

Anyone heard of something like this before? Any ideas? Has rather confused me :s.

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
All mine stay on too. The led from the card reader, the mouse and the keyboard all still have power running to them. This is probably because LEDs need such a small amount of power that the residual is enough to keep them lit up for even hours at times. I find I have to turn it off either at the switch at the back or my normal method is on the belkin 8 socket surge protector I got with the PC. It has a switch on it to turn all power off which is handy. I've got all my PC peripherals plugged into too such as speakers, monitor, printer and external HDD so I know that they're all turned off at the same time after I shut down :)
You can actually buy one from PCS now which has an auto-power off feature which might be quite handy. I'm sure if you phoned them up they'd be able to help if that was something you wanted.

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Ah okay, at least I know someone else has this too. I might look into that - thanks :).

Only thing that still does confuse me, is that only the mouse and mousemat leds stay on. The Keyboard switches off, as does the computer case LED.

pengipete

Rising Star
My motherboard does the same thing - keeps sending power through USB when shutdown. When I first got it, I looked everywhere to see if it could be disabled in BIOS or through the individual port's power settings in Windows but as far as I can tell, there's no way around it. It's weird seeing my office lit up when I'm not using it - that mousepad is surprising bright.

Regarding the keyboard - I suspect one of two things. Either the USB ports only remain operational at low voltage and the keyboard is "intelligent" enough to see that as a shutdown or the PC actually sends a signal to the keyboard during the shutdown process.

The mousepad - if it's anything like mine - is a dumb device and the LEDs are simply hardwired into the USB power line (I looked to see if I could install a switch but not possible on mine with rewiring the thing as it would also cut power to the four USB ports on the back).

The mouse - I can only assume that its either getting enough current anyway or that the motherboard is purposely keeping it running to allow for "wake-up" signals. My money's on it just getting power and not being able to detect the shutdown. The case LED - if you mean the normal power LED - is powered through the front panel header rather than USB so it's unrelated.

If you do come across anything about switching them off, I'd be interested.

Reactions: PCS

Pete

Bright Spark
I don't have this problem myself but if able, you could try and use a USB port on your monitor ? that way it would power off the keyboard and mouse when you turn the monitor off (you'll need a connecting usb from pc to monitor). or like my setup have the mouse plugged into the keyboard, maybe the combined power draw would cause them to go off ? depends on your hardware of course.... anyhow just a suggestion.

Maestro

Most new motherboards have a feature called 'wake on usb' in the bios. This is so you can turn your pc on from sleep / hibernate and also charge mobile phones and things from the usb ports when the pc is switched off. You should be able to disable this in the bios if its there.