Weird stuttering in games

Frogbox

This may not be relevant as I know the issue has uncovered new concerns, but I've been having a similar issue with all games for the past few weeks, and I'm not sure if your issue is exactly the same.

When playing any and all games, I'd get a noticeable stutter every 5-6 seconds or so. Oddly, this issue only seems to happen when playing games in fullscreen. When I played borderless/windowed, the issue goes away (but the coil whine ramps up).

This wasn't a hardware issue. I am running a 5900X/3080Ti/1000w PSU combo, and I am playing games in 1440p/144hz (ultrawide monitor in the works, don't tell me off).

This was most noticeable in Final Fantasy 14. I could be anywhere in the world and I'd get a frozen frame every few seconds, no matter what I was doing.

After trawling the web for a solution, I came across the following advice:

- Deactivate Windows Game Bar. (You may need to reactivate this when playing games on Xbox Game Pass).
- Tick "don't optimise fullscreen" in the properties > compatibility settings.
- Set the Windows power plan to High Performance.

The last one seemed to do the trick for me. I'm hoping it's fixed and not just a temporary solution, as frame drops/stuttering really wind me up!

Hopefully it'll help you, or someone else who has the same issue.

EDIT: One last thing which I forgot, I've seen other people have their issue fixed by using a higher quality DP cable, specifically one that's a VESA certified DisplayPort 1.4 cable.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This may not be relevant I know the issue has uncovered new concerns, but I've been having a similar issue with all games for the past few weeks, and I'm not sure if your issue is exactly the same.

When playing any and all games, I'd get a noticeable stutter every 5-6 seconds or so. Oddly, this issue only seems to happen when playing games in fullscreen. When I played borderless/windowed, the issue goes away (but the coil whine ramps up).

This wasn't a hardware issue. I am running a 5900X/3080Ti/1000w PSU combo, and I am playing games in 1440p/144hz (ultrawide monitor in the works, don't tell me off).

This was most noticeable in Final Fantasy 14. I could be anywhere in the world and I'd get a frozen frame every few seconds, no matter what I was doing.

After trawling the web for a solution, I came across the following advice:

- Deactivate Windows Game Bar. (You may need to reactivate this when playing games on Xbox Game Pass).
- Tick "don't optimise fullscreen" in the properties > compatibility settings.
- Set the Windows power plan to High Performance.

The last one seemed to do the trick for me. I'm hoping it's fixed and not just a temporary solution, as frame drops/stuttering really wind me up!

Hopefully it'll help you, or someone else who has the same issue.

EDIT: One last thing which I forgot, I've seen other people have their issue fixed by using a higher quality DP cable, specifically one that's a VESA certified DisplayPort 1.4 cable.
Extremely well summarised, perfectly put (y)